Sign in to follow this  
fourex

Improving Fork Action.

I've got an '84 300 which currently wears Magicals springs and pre-load adjusters which has been ok for the past few years but could be better.

I am curious if any of you have succeeded in making the 35mm Zokes perform closer to a modern day fork mainly in regard to plushness. I'm aware of the HFS product out there but this doesn't seem to address oil damping.

Has anyone successfully grafted Racetech emulators into a Trials fork, specifically the Fantic, as they don't have any Trials bikes listed on their website application guide.

http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators

Have Racetech gold valves in 34mm Yamaha-Kayaba TY250 forks on 250 Godden Majesty. Better than standard forks but I wouldn't claim them to work better than well set up 35mm trials Marzocchis.

Racetech don't list TY250 forks either but Yamaha MX bikes with 34mm forks of the same era have the same design damping internals as the TY250.

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

Have Racetech gold valves in 34mm Yamaha-Kayaba TY250 forks on 250 Godden Majesty. Better than standard forks but I wouldn't claim them to work better than well set up 35mm trials Marzocchis.

Racetech don't list TY250 forks either but Yamaha MX bikes with 34mm forks of the same era have the same design damping internals as the TY250.

Thanks David, but how do you set up 35mm Zokes "well".  I was gobsmacked by the rough holes drilled into the damping tubes when I first dis-assembled a few years ago, it was as if the apprentice was given an 8mm drill bit and told to drill some holes in this tube and don't worry about de-burring. I have since tidied this up, added the Magicals and experimented with 5/ 7.5/ 10 wt oils in varying quantities. It's not until I jump on my modern bike that I realise how ordinary those forks are, somewhere in between would be a good compromise if possible.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:38 PM, fourex said:

Thanks David, but how do you set up 35mm Zokes "well".  I was gobsmacked by the rough holes drilled into the damping tubes when I first dis-assembled a few years ago, it was as if the apprentice was given an 8mm drill bit and told to drill some holes in this tube and don't worry about de-burring. I have since tidied this up, added the Magicals and experimented with 5/ 7.5/ 10 wt oils in varying quantities. It's not until I jump on my modern bike that I realise how ordinary those forks are, somewhere in between would be a good compromise if possible.

I don't know what Greg Harding did to his Fantic 240 forks but that is what I'm comparing mine to.