Painting Aluminium Cub Petrol Tank

brucey

Long story short:

I decided to paint my Armac Cub tank (Holtworks?). The colour was chosen to commemorate a friend of mine who passed away this year and had his Cub the same blue.  I got a couple of quotes (at around 200 pounds) then decided to have a go myself!

I got most of the materials from a local automotive paint supplier and the pinstripe and tank stickers from Ebay.  I used rattle cans for an etch primer and also bought the rattle can equivalent of 2K colour and lacquer. (I don't know how you can get a 2 part paint into a rattle can either!)

I have always liked the 'Gulf'' colours on Triumph Bonneville's so thought I'd do mine in a similar style.

I prepped the painted area by masking it and rubbing it down with 1800 grit paper before painting.  Once the paint had dried, I 'tickled down' the  paint edge and covered it with the stripe.  My Son then applied the transfer's (I'm useless at that bit as he say's I think about it too much!).

I also prepared a test piece to make sure all the paints and vinyls were compatible and the best place to put the stripe in relation to the paint edge. (see photo's)

My question is should I lacquer it?  I'm tempted to stop while I'm ahead!  I have the options of leaving it with no lacquer, lacquering just the painted area and pin stripes or lacquering the whole tank.

The rattle can 2K lacquer doesn't seem to have gone hard on my test piece (even after 3 days in the sun!).  I'm also concerned it will just go yellow or be affected by small petrol spills. My other thought was if I do get small scratches in the ally, I can polish them out if it isn't lacquered.

The bike is there to be trialed and I expect my nice new paint scheme will get damaged sooner or later.  Your thoughts and opinions are welcome (even from Nebulous :-)).

Bruce.

tank paint rhs small.JPG

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. 1 - 1 then!

I can understand the logic of both arguments. The guy who sprays tanks for a living would have done as Nebulous suggested but I’m assuming he would use proper 2K lacquer and know how not to leave a ridge. 

I sprayed my alloy tank and then varnished with apparently the correct varnish only to find petrol softens it instantly !

Can't understand why rattle can varnish supplied from a car accessory shop is not resistant to fuel.

Next time I will do my artwork then take it to be clear coated, the varnish brings the colour to life.

18 minutes ago, collyolly said:

I sprayed my alloy tank and then varnished with apparently the correct varnish only to find petrol softens it instantly !

Can't understand why rattle can varnish supplied from a car accessory shop is not resistant to fuel.

Next time I will do my artwork then take it to be clear coated, the varnish brings the colour to life.

Good point. I’ll check my test piece by dunking it in some petrol for a few seconds. If is softens it I’ll leave it unvarnished ???

The only thing id be worried about is your knee catching the stickers and them slowly starting to peel off, but i have a tank done similar to your with no lacquer and the stickers have been good for the last 10 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brucey said:

Good point. I’ll check my test piece by dunking it in some petrol for a few seconds. If is softens it I’ll leave it unvarnished ???

Good shout collyolly, I just did a quick fuel test on my test sample and it failed miserably.   Thinners couldn't have done a better job!

So choice is no rattle can lacquer or take it somewhere for proper 2 pack lacquer to be applied.

I guess I have very little to loose by putting it back on the bike without lacquer and seeing what happens.  It will also give the blue more time to harden.

I have all the materials (except the Triumph stickers) to do it again if necessary.  Just my time.  To be honest I quite enjoyed acquiring the new skill set.

17 minutes ago, pre65wobbler said:

Hi Brucey

Just stop poofing it up..................get on it and ride it.......................like wot  'enery would have done !!! XXXXX

Yes Joan :-) xxx

Just recovering from having an adrenal gland removed a couple of weeks ago but hope to be riding again soon.