199A running refurb.

cosmo

Hello all.

I am starting a rolling refurb of recently purchased matching frame and engine number 199a.Its a bit rough and had frame painted white in past.No oil in clutch or gearbox!. I have replaced badly damaged front rim and chromed hub lining,new brake shoes, new fork seals ,tyre , springs and oil have sorted front end.I am looking for advice please as below.

1.Gearbox refilled with SAE 90, now leaking heavily from drive sprocket seal? or around this area i think! is this a big job to change, most likely point of leakage?

2.Speedo doesnt work, best way to troubleshoot?  

3.Swingarm shock absorber mounting fixing cant release  one upper allen key fixing as picture, it was badly rounded.Tried loads of release oil, shocking and a little heat with no luck. I need to replace unserviceable existing shocks.

I am planning a running rolling refurb to use in twinshock  trials and not as a show bike.Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Stuart. 

bultaco 3.jpg

bultaco2.jpg

If the torx fix don't work, then I would suggest to grind a Slot (parallel groove) and use a big screwdriver, the thread might be shot, I would the insert a time sert thread form Würth, done so to the shock mount of my Sherpa.

The SAE 90 oil works but AFT oil is the better stuff nowadays with less friction, drive socket, the bearing can be pulled out if you have a special bearing puller no big deal.

If the speedo does not work I would recommend to check the inner cable it is mostly broken.

That damper mount shouldn’t be that tight, try using a centre punch on the flat surface of the bolt to try and turn it....once t moves you can use an Allen key....the torx bit suggestion may work..has done for me in the past. Have you put correct amount of oil in gearbox?? Some Bultaco owners use 500cc others go to 600cc...either way too much oil and it’s going to leak out. Gearbox out put shaft seal can be replaced by first removing timing side engine case 4 hex socket bolts...note the one next to sprocket should have a fibre washer or similar between case and mounting post...now the gearbox chain sprocket, there should be a lock tab that will need to be freed...leave chain on you will use this together with back brake applied to hold gearbox sprocket still while you undo the sprocket retaining nut, this should be tight so a long knuckle bar should help with the correct size socket. Slide off and clean area thoroughly, now with great care prise out the oil seal ensuring that you don’t damage the seal housing. When you fit new oil seal take care not to damage seal lips...lubelips with either silicon grease, oil or high melting point grease...just to aid the seals life! 

What oil have you put into the clutch housing....the best oil is ATF...others have their preferences.

Unfortunately you do not say if the speedo drive is from the front or rear wheel...I’m guessing by looking at your picture that it’s rear so first is the cable in one piece, detach it by unscrewing the collar that secures the cable to the speedo head...now get someone to spin the rear wheel...if you see the cable turning then it’s the speedo head that’s faulty. If the cable isn’t turning, make sure it has engaged with the drive at the rear wheel by gently pushing the inner cable into the out while turning back wheel. Now if nothing’s happening check the inner cable, pull it out..if it won’t come then undo the cable at the rear. I’m afraid that now if there is still no drive you will have to remove the back wheel and take off the drive housing and investigate some more.

From the look of your workshop I’m guessing you already know quite a bit.

6 hours ago, cosmo said:

Hello all.

I am starting a rolling refurb of recently purchased matching frame and engine number 199a.Its a bit rough and had frame painted white in past.No oil in clutch or gearbox!. I have replaced badly damaged front rim and chromed hub lining,new brake shoes, new fork seals ,tyre , springs and oil have sorted front end.I am looking for advice please as below.

1.Gearbox refilled with SAE 90, now leaking heavily from drive sprocket seal? or around this area i think! is this a big job to change, most likely point of leakage?

2.Speedo doesnt work, best way to troubleshoot?  

3.Swingarm shock absorber mounting fixing cant release  one upper allen key fixing as picture, it was badly rounded.Tried loads of release oil, shocking and a little heat with no luck. I need to replace unserviceable existing shocks.

I am planning a running rolling refurb to use in twinshock  trials and not as a show bike.Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Stuart. 

bultaco 3.jpg

bultaco2.jpg

Gear lever looks to be mounted a bit on the low side.

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated.

Oil changes i used;Gearbox oil 500cc of SAE 90 and clutch 300cc of ATF.

Speedo drive is off rear wheel.

I am ordering a pair of rockshocks to replace existing units.( once i get old fitting off ! )

I will hopefully get a look at shocker mount ,speedo and oil leak this weekend.Will post how it goes.

At 52 getting back into twinshock competition after a 25 year gap.

thanks again.Stuart.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cosmo said:

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated.

Oil changes i used;Gearbox oil 500cc of SAE 90 and clutch 300cc of ATF.

Speedo drive is off rear wheel.

I am ordering a pair of rockshocks to replace existing units.( once i get old fitting off ! )

I will hopefully get a look at shocker mount ,speedo and oil leak this weekend.Will post how it goes.

At 52 getting back into twinshock competition after a 25 year gap.

thanks again.Stuart.

Pah a mere spring chicken at 52??

If your not planning on putting it on the road, most people get rid of the speedo drive and replace it with a spacer.

I think I used 20:50 in the gear box and atf in primary.  

I am planning on a daytime MOT so will repair/replace speedo.I am going to repaint frame blue with fork bottoms black when i get engine oil tight.

Cheers Stuart.

bultaco4.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,

Shock absorber fixing. I tried torx bit hammered in, unfortunately slipped before loosening fixing. Hacksawed a slot next and tried with loads of pressure and a slot width fitting screwdriver,  head sheared off fixing under load. I am left with a tiny stub of fixing protruding from female threaded part. Looks like drilling out and rethread or Wurth insert? or cut off entirely from frame and reweld a new mounting boss as last options.

Oh well, There is always one.      Stuart.

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

dear all.

I am now refurbing rear of bike. I have stripped rear wheel and brake hub, got a couple of broken spokes need replacing on the shorter hub/sprocket side as well as bearing, brake shoes etc.The hub side spoke ends are covered with a circular pressed? shroud/cover, Does anyone know best way to remove/replace it to allow access to spoke ends.i have looked at manuals but no mention.Tried gently levering with no luck, dont want to damage hub.heat?Any knowledge much appreciated.Will post a photo later.

thanks in anticipation.Stuart.