Decent trials tyre

scratcher

Hi guys. Im looking for a new rear tyre fur my monty 4ride..its fitted with a dunlop 803.i like the tyre. But use the bike mainly fur trails n roads..do do actual trials..its great grip on the road (soft) knoblles are ripping themselfs off especialy in the middle run 10psi

but ave been lookin at a mitas e01 anyone used this. Or any recomendations of a decent all rounder..

For what you are doing you could consider something like a Continental TKC 80 if it will fit in the swinging arm.  Though a Maxxis Trialmaxx or Pirelli MT43 would probably be better.

The ET01 claims to be a proper trials tyre (I have no experience of them) in which case they may be no better than the 803 for wear.

So, my experience on a much heavier trail bike, both trails and dual sport.  I have destroyed nearly all of the true trials tires at various pressures from 5-12 psi.  Michelin, Mitas, IRC, Dunlap did slightly better but still not acceptable.  Mt-43, not a true, soft, radial TT but closer will last close to 1000 miles at 5-6 psi.  You could probably get by at 4-5 psi on a 4Ride.  Also, doesn't walk sideways like a true radial TT.

Edited by krazyosucowboy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Pirelli MT43 is what I would run... probably run 5-6 front and 3-4 rear.  If having grip issues on a 4 Ride maybe 4-5 front and 2-4 rear on the trail.  

Good luck!

:thumbup:

I have two enduro bikes with tubeless rear rims. The MT43 will occasionally unseat and lose it's air at pressures below 6psi. I assume it's a result of the stiff bias ply sidewall.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, motovita said:

I have two enduro bikes with tubeless rear rims. The MT43 will occasionally unseat and lose it's air at pressures below 6psi. I assume it's a result of the stiff bias ply sidewall.

I think in this case as it's a trials rim on the 4 Ride there is a good chance it will be fine though.

Still... good to know and will keep that in mind in the future.  Thanks.

On 7/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, lineaway said:

So what kind of tubeless rims are you running. I have never had a MT43 unseat.

Morad rims with the rubber band as used on trials bikes for many years. Once when riding my KTM across a long off camber slab the tire burped out all it's air but didn't unseat. It takes just the right combination of forces to make it happen. If I maintain a minimum of 6PSI I've never had a problem.

19 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

I think in this case as it's a trials rim on the 4 Ride there is a good chance it will be fine though.

Still... good to know and will keep that in mind in the future.  Thanks.

I believe the Montesa uses a different brand of tubeless rim DID vs Morad (my 4RT did), one might be better than the other but both are used on Trials bikes.

9 hours ago, motovita said:

I believe the Montesa uses a different brand of tubeless rim DID vs Morad (my 4RT did), one might be better than the other but both are used on Trials bikes.

4Ride uses a Morad tubeless rim on the rear

Only Repsol and 300RR use the DID rear rims, now

On the 250's all were DID

13 hours ago, motovita said:

Morad rims with the rubber band as used on trials bikes for many years. Once when riding my KTM across a long off camber slab the tire burped out all it's air but didn't unseat. It takes just the right combination of forces to make it happen. If I maintain a minimum of 6PSI I've never had a problem.

That set up should work fine. I rode with Pirrelli`s on Aprillia`s  quite a bit with 4 to 4 1/2 pounds and never had issues.

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

That set up should work fine. I rode with Pirrelli`s on Aprillia`s  quite a bit with 4 to 4 1/2 pounds and never had issues.

The 250 pound motorcycle is likely a factor. I think the MT43 may have stiffer sidewalls than the Pirellis you used in the old days.

Edited by motovita

I second the Maxxis Trialmaxx. I had one on the rear of my heavy-ass DR350 and while there was some cracking around the knobs I didn't actually lose any. They wear quickly compared to an MT43 or similar but they still lasted for hundreds of miles of road use and the grip is vastly superior. They'd probably last better on a lighter bike too.

I might prefer a longer lasting tyre on a trail bike but for something as focused as a 4ride I'd definately go with the Trailmaxx.