Faulty new kill switch?

lopez

2016 Beta Evo. Was fitted with a standard push-button kill switch.

Remove old kill switch. 

Take 2 wires that used to go into the kill switch.

Wires separate, bike runs. Wires touching, bike stops. So there is no loom issue or anything like that.

Fit new Apico lanyard kill switch. Brown wire to brown wire on bike, black wire to black wire on bike.

Lanyard magnet on, bike runs. Lanyard magnet off, bike still runs.

:huh:

Switch is brand new, and when you remove the magnet you can feel/hear a faint tick which is, I assume the switch opening and closing inside as you would expect.

Dodgy switch? Seems unlikely as it's brand new but anything is possible....

Well as I was taking the switch off to send it back, I tested it once more.

With the switch off the handlebars, it works fine. If you put it back on the bars and tighten it, it stops working. If you have it on the bars but fairly lose it still works, as you tighten it it stops working.

I had the same issue with a replacement kill switch. I lost the lanyard after leaving it on the bike whilst transporting on a bike rack. The price difference between new switch and new lanyard was negligible so i fitted a new switch. Mine would not stop if it was mounted too tightly on the bars and even when loose it ran on for quite a while when the lanyard was disconnected. Slowly over time it seemed to wear in and stopped instantly as it should. Interestingly, whilst the Leonelli and Apico items appear identical and most likely made in the same factory the magnetic poles are opposite so you cannot use one lanyard on the other without modification.

They're easy enough to take apart, small screwdriver between the two halves to release clips, clean up the contacts, check for any plastic flashing inhibiting movement of spring or contact, give spring a slight stretch, put back together and see if it works.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ourian said:

They're easy enough to take apart, small screwdriver between the two halves to release clips, clean up the contacts, check for any plastic flashing inhibiting movement of spring or contact, give spring a slight stretch, put back together and see if it works.

As a safety item these kill switches should work without having to resort to stripping a new component down to make it work. Most outboard motor and jet ski kill switches have a lanyard but it’s attached to a clip that goes around the kill switch button.....depart from said ride and the clip pings off and engine stops. The clip is still attached to the lanyard...no magnets, no corrosion to worry about.

On 10/07/2018 at 10:45 PM, section swept said:

As a safety item these kill switches should work without having to resort to stripping a new component down to make it work. Most outboard motor and jet ski kill switches have a lanyard but it’s attached to a clip that goes around the kill switch button.....depart from said ride and the clip pings off and engine stops. The clip is still attached to the lanyard...no magnets, no corrosion to worry about.

Pretty much how I feel. They should just work!