First Aid at Trials

trapezeartist

It's gratifying to know that our chosen sport is just about the safest motorsport there is.  But nothing is totally safe, and medical events can happen anywhere (especially as many of us are no longer in the first flush of youth).

I do think organising clubs could do a little more on this front. I know Golden Valley have a defibrillator that is placed at Section 1, but I only know that from the time I observed Section 1 for them. It has never been mentioned at signing-on or rider's briefing. At signing-on with another club, I saw what looked like an old tupperware box marked First Aid.

So here are my suggestions for consideration:
Each club should have a decent first-aid kit. They're not expensive. A defib would be nice, but they are expensive.
Riders and observers who are qualified first-aiders or above should be invited to sign-on as such. To be called on if the need arises.
Signed-on first-aiders to wear a coloured sash so they can be easily identified.
Riders briefing to include a reminder about first-aiders and the location of first-aid equipment.

• Like 4

Over here in sunny Australia any club day has to have at least 1 First Aider in attendance with a good first aid kit which all the clubs have. Any Interclub or Open event has to have a Paramedic in attendance. He or She is usually bored for most of the day but is sometimes needed for minor cuts and bruises. We held the Queensland Modern Bike Championships on the Weekend and there was only one bigger injury which was a footpeg into the shin of a rider rather deeply. He went to get stiches after he finished for the first day of a 2 day trial and rode the next day but rather gingerly though. So they are needed. We say who the first aid person or people are at the Riders Briefing so everyone knows. Graham.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

It's gratifying to know that our chosen sport is just about the safest motorsport there is.  But nothing is totally safe, and medical events can happen anywhere (especially as many of us are no longer in the first flush of youth).

I do think organising clubs could do a little more on this front. I know Golden Valley have a defibrillator that is placed at Section 1, but I only know that from the time I observed Section 1 for them. It has never been mentioned at signing-on or rider's briefing. At signing-on with another club, I saw what looked like an old tupperware box marked First Aid.

So here are my suggestions for consideration:
Each club should have a decent first-aid kit. They're not expensive. A defib would be nice, but they are expensive.
Riders and observers who are qualified first-aiders or above should be invited to sign-on as such. To be called on if the need arises.
Signed-on first-aiders to wear a coloured sash so they can be easily identified.
Riders briefing to include a reminder about first-aiders and the location of first-aid equipment.

YOU are looking for problems that are very rare ,next you,ll  want a ambulance at a trial just incase . You would find any trained first -aiders would step up if needed .As for clubs, clubs are run by volunteers  who is going to take responsibility & liability( blame clam society) if the first aid treatment goes wrong ?,Read the sign "caution motor-sport is dangerous" so is it not down to the rider for his/her own safety ? seen loads drinks bottles taped to bikes never seen a first aid kit . Should we put entry fees up and book a ambulance for every trial  first aid will be well covered then or just  use  999 as we do now" that worked for me !" I feel this topic will come under " can of worms" 

Edited by on it
add more
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, on it said:

YOU are looking for problems that are very rare ,next you,ll  want a ambulance at a trial just incase . You would find any trained first -aiders would step up if needed .As for clubs, clubs are run by volunteers  who is going to take responsibility & liability( blame clam society) if the first aid treatment goes wrong ?,Read the sign "caution motor-sport is dangerous" so is it not down to the rider for his/her own safety ? seen loads drinks bottles taped to bikes never seen a first aid kit . Should we put entry fees up and book a ambulance for every trial  first aid will be well covered then or just  use  999 as we do now" that worked for me !"

I don't think OP was suggesting going the Ambulance route, etc, just that if there war any first aid trained riders/ observers in attendance, they be identifiable; By the very nature of accidents, any Fiist Aid, administered 'on site' is just that.........First Aid;

Regarding liability........it would be a pretty poor day if the person trying to help someone in trouble (of whatever kind) stood back and worried about any repercussions.......(and here I'm speaking as a First Aid trained person)

Another point here,.........whilst yes in an ideal world, 999 is last resort, in some area's of the country, any sort of phone reception is hit and miss.

Can understand your reasoning, On It, for your post, as well.............tis an interesting topic, maybe's as Trials 'like some other sports', is moving forward, and sections are by the very nature of the machinery being ridden, now, are getting more technical, the OP's raised question does have some relevance.

Edited by Twinshockandy
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, on it said:

YOU are looking for problems that are very rare ,next you,ll  want a ambulance at a trial just incase . You would find any trained first -aiders would step up if needed .As for clubs, clubs are run by volunteers  who is going to take responsibility & liability( blame clam society) if the first aid treatment goes wrong ?,Read the sign "caution motor-sport is dangerous" so is it not down to the rider for his/her own safety ? seen loads drinks bottles taped to bikes never seen a first aid kit . Should we put entry fees up and book a ambulance for every trial  first aid will be well covered then or just  use  999 as we do now" that worked for me !" I feel this topic will come under " can of worms" 

Did you actually read the OP? A first aid kit is £10 and cuts and burns at trials while rare are very much possible. Not once did the OP even hint at an ambulance. Sure as you say, phoning 999 is a lot easier than having a first aid kit in someones boot.

Step up if needed yes, but if someone was to collapse at a section how would you know who the first aid or medically trained person is?!!!

Edited by faussy

1 hour ago, on it said:

Knee / shin protection should be compulsory, huge number of injuries to lower leg.  ( what's a blame clam ? )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, faussy said:

Did you actually read the OP? A first aid kit is £10 and cuts and burns at trials while rare are very much possible. Not once did the OP even hint at an ambulance. Sure as you say, phoning 999 is a lot easier than having a first aid kit in someones boot.

Step up if needed yes, but if someone was to collapse at a section how would you know who the first aid or medically trained person is?!!!

YES  & No he did not mention a ambulance I said "youll, WANT a ambulance next !! " WHATS WRONG with the rider having his/her own first aid kit on them at all times no ones stopping you doing that now or go back to your car and sort yourself out  !  So what happens if no medically trained person is at the trial or come forward ? just cancel the trial then or do as we do now ? Faussy are  your saying the club now has to find/supply medical/first- aid trained person when   they struggle to get 10 observers now .

Edited by on it
add

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

Knee / shin protection should be compulsory, huge number of injuries to lower leg.  ( what's a blame clam ? )

a blame clam  well weres theres a blame theres a clam eg, (ok you put a plaster on someone the  wound gets infected the  plaster is out of date and you end up getting sued ) easy money ! todays culture 

• Haha 2

I rode a trial in Cumberland many years ago, a chap attempted a section and came off  his bike. His foot peg went through his waterproofs and trials jeans and opened up his knee cap, I could see a lot of bone.

He knew everyone there but not one of them stopped to help or were willing to go and fetch help and I wasn't even a local. I managed to strap it up enough so he could get off the hills, how he made it back to the car park I don't know, he had some grit.

That was the end of my day unfortunately :( I'm sure I was winning too........not !

This was before mobiles were common place, I dare say he was a candidate for an air ambulance nowadays.

We have at all trials from club level on the ambulance on site, with at least two Medic's and an ambulance van, the costs are covered by the signing fee, which is around 5€ per participant so a third of the 15€ the signing in costs.

At our club training area we have a first aid box, a fire blanket and a big fire extinguisher on site, we even had to build an extinguishing well as there are no water pipelines near by.

Both together gives a certain basic security , every driver's purpose is, of course, part of it too.

38 minutes ago, on it said:

a blame clam  well weres theres a blame theres a clam eg, (ok you put a plaster on someone the  wound gets infected the  plaster is out of date and you end up getting sued ) easy money ! todays culture 

Blame it on the crustaceans ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, on it said:

YES  & No he did not mention a ambulance I said "youll, WANT a ambulance next !! " WHATS WRONG with the rider having his/her own first aid kit on them at all times no ones stopping you doing that now or go back to your car and sort yourself out  !  So what happens if no medically trained person is at the trial or come forward ? just cancel the trial then or do as we do now ? Faussy are  your saying the club now has to find/supply medical/first- aid trained person when   they struggle to get 10 observers now .

I have a feeling youre trolling

The OP suggested the club should provide a first aid kit, IMO reasonable
The OP suggested that if a first aid trained person is in attendance they should make themselves known, IMO reasonable

You're interpolating way too much

Edited by faussy

1 hour ago, faussy said:

I have a feeling youre trolling

The OP suggested the club should provide a first aid kit, IMO reasonable
The OP suggested that if a first aid trained person is in attendance they should make themselves known, IMO reasonable

You're interpolating way too much

Why should a first aid trained person  make themselves known ? if having a day off  imo reasonable, As for first aid kit riders have there own  imo reasonable, Really were dose it all stop ?   Do we manage at  trials now so why is were is the problem ?

Edited by on it
add

Just to put anyone’s mind at rest, it’s a common comment about people being sued if first aid goes wrong. There has never been a prosecution in this country for anyone giving first aid. Blame culture or not unless you chop someone’s arm off for a splinter then it ain’t going to happen.just ask any qualified first aider or first aid trainer who will confirm this More likely someone may try to complain there is no first aid provision. 

Seen plenty of bad cuts, broken shoulder, ankle etc but typical trials no shortage of people doing all they can to help.

• Like 2