Setting Race Sag? '17 Raga (Reiger)

walz

I am really excited for my bike to arrive next week!  Just trying to figure out the setup work before I ride.

Do most trials riders set race sag or just 15-25mm static sag?  Set race sag at about 30% of travel?  Any specific tips for setting up the 17 with Reiger shock?

I am bigger, have the stiffer springs and will ride in advanced class at the next meet if that makes any difference in your recommendation.

Thank you for your time!

Hi Walz questions a bit above my pay grade. Thing I would say  and you probably know this the suspension will soften off considerably after a few hours use so I wouldn't rush to set up right away.

What I do know is that riders set ups vary so going by the book if there is one might not suit you. As an old guy I set up my bikes really soft as I'm not exactly hitting steps flat out in 3rd and really all I want is the bike to grip.

As I say I don't think it's an exact science happy fiddling.

1 minute ago, breagh said:

Hi Walz questions a bit above my pay grade. Thing I would say  and you probably know this the suspension will soften off considerably after a few hours use so I wouldn't rush to set up right away.

What I do know is that riders set ups vary so going by the book if there is one might not suit you. As an old guy I set up my bikes really soft as I'm not exactly hitting steps flat out in 3rd and really all I want is the bike to grip.

As I say I don't think it's an exact science happy fiddling.

Fair enough.  Nothing in the manual on sag and maybe that's intentional.  Hard to imagine not having a good baseline like any moto, trail or even mountain bike!  I guess with trials varying wildly in technique this would make sense.  Maybe riders with extraordinary balance could use more stored energy from the shock while us mortals may be hindered.  Thank you for the reply and I'll bring my tools with me to the rocks.

34 minutes ago, inchhigh said:

you can get advice for a gasser or a sherco , there is not alot around for the trs . 

Ok, my average on research for those bikes is 30 static, 100mm race sag (rider weight).  I'll use that for a starting point unless any TRS experts get a chance to chime in.

I'd always set my rear suspension up with sag previously but you don't need to do this with the Reiger shock on the RR. Out of the box  they don't have sag, neither does the vertigo with the same shock. It doesn't top out like you would expect and provides greater lift. I presume something is different in terms of damping compared to other shocks I have used.

Its very good, if you need a heavier spring for your weight they are available.

The bike works well, stock out of the box. You never said how big you are. The rear shock is fairly soft. You might crank it up two turns if you are 220 plus. Other wise the suspension needs to break in. One or two rides is not enough. The bikes works very well , so just enjoy riding it for awhile.

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

you don't need to do this with the Reiger shock on the RR. Out of the box  they don't have sag,

Its very good, if you need a heavier spring for your weight they are available.

Well Geez, that's the first I've  heard of. Now I'd really like to hear specific setup procedure.

I have the 80 spring weight and am 230.  Thanks

Edited by walz

4 hours ago, oni nou said:

Is specific set up procedure not in the REIGER  TRS manual on the  TRS websites 

The first thing I did is read through the TRS manual on that site and the Reiger pamphlet on that site.  Nothing about sag in there.

The gas gas info you supplied on preload was helpful. Thanks

Edited by walz

So much different info but here is the answer from what I believe to be the horse's mouth.  Stew at Jacks Cycles impresses the heck out of me and here is his answer from the words of Raga regarding the TRS/Reiger:

10mm pre-load on the rear spring with a tolerance of +/-3mm.  Any more and get a new spring.  All brands even with the Reiger have different pre-load base settings.  I matched the front springs to the rear (heavier both ends) and it feels balanced. 

This should yield zero static sag.

Ride on!

And now you need to ride for a month to break them in and then actually start setting up the suspension. We should have a new rear spring by the end of the week for my son's new 300rr. We are betting the front will be fine. Time will tell. Good luck on your new bike. My son rode his in some  large rocks yesterday and just loves it. By the way setting a bike up to Raga's settings will do you no good as he rides with different forks and rear shock. Stew is a good guy though.

Screenshot_20180716-164529_resized.jpg

Edited by lineaway