ty250a ...do i need new fork springs?

johnnyjazz

hello wonderful trials forum!

so...another question from the newbie in brooklyn...thanks for all your help and patience so far  :)

ive been trying to practice front wheel hops and really having to work hard at it.  now, im aware my technique is ***** and even trying to do these 'modern' things on an old twinshock requires a lot more effort and diligence than on a mono shock, but i pulled my fork springs again and measured them against the 400.5mm i have in my manual and they came up a wee bit short..

would this little difference have a big effect on the rebounding of the spring? i see i can get a new pair from b and j for $90 so happy to take a hit if need be?

few pics showing lengths...the silver lines are at exactly 400.5mm...

can any of you experts tell me if i should just get some new ones or i just need to leave em and work harder at technique?  thanks always so much!

20170915_111339.jpg

20170915_111330.jpg

20170915_111156.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz

You are going to struggle if you want to replicate the moves of a more modern and lighter bike, when the TY 250 A came out most riders were still perfecting wheelies! New fork springs would not go amiss and even spring spacers 20mm would give you the ground clearance that you will need. The old springs are fine but aged and soft after years in compression. New seals and flush out old oil, new oil, springs and spacers and you are good to go. Just don’t beat yourself up if you cannot bunny hop, technique is needed, get your riding skills improved over all types of obstacles, get more used to the bike and move that body weight over the front as far as you can with out being silly then throttle up and heave on the bars as if wheelieing and almost immediately throw your weight forward again, digging in with the heals of your boots. Have fun and look after what is the first of a solid bike.??

• Like 1

The TY250 springs I have bought from B&J are quite a bit stiffer than standard springs.

Your springs may be a tiny bit shorter than standard but do not exhibit much wear so their rate should be pretty close to standard.

If you use additional spacers with the standard springs, anything longer than 9mm additional to the standard spacers will cause the fork springs to coil bind on full compression.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input!   i'll just leave em..i did the oil/seals a while ago and if you think the springs look fine and the shorter length is ok then that's all i needed to hear!

i know a lot of this knowledge comes from experience so thanks again for sharing thoughts :)

totally take your point about new techniques on old bikes but having just watched these two vids really made me rethink my game!

If you do replace the fork springs then look at getting them from majesty yamaha, they're a possibly a bit firmer than standard at the beginning of the fork travel & gradually firm up through the rest of the travel. I fitted both the springs & damper rods at the same time & the improvement in fork performance is huge

• Like 2

On 7/18/2018 at 8:45 PM, tony27 said:

If you do replace the fork springs then look at getting them from majesty yamaha, they're a possibly a bit firmer than standard at the beginning of the fork travel & gradually firm up through the rest of the travel. I fitted both the springs & damper rods at the same time & the improvement in fork performance is huge

I've just bought a pair of springs from majesty and am keen to try them out in the forks that already have the majesty damper rods fitted.