Applying decals

scot taco

I,m getting ready to apply a set of 199b style decals to my brothers bike and just wondering what is the best way to go about it ? I,m usually not too good at getting them straight and just wondered what I could put down that would enable me to move them around into place.It is a painted tank.

3 hours ago, scot taco said:

I,m getting ready to apply a set of 199b style decals to my brothers bike and just wondering what is the best way to go about it ? I,m usually not too good at getting them straight and just wondered what I could put down that would enable me to move them around into place.It is a painted tank.

as long as they lay flat and do not require heat to get them to comply with the tank then you just need a spray bottle with water and add a couple drops of Dawn soap I believe is the brand.I am sure you can verify on youtube, and this allows things to move until you squeegee them to get water out, then allow to dry a few days even, like window tint!

Thank you ! I thought it was something like that. I kind of remember watching my Dad putting decals on a snowmobile using shampoo and water then a squeegee but that was about 45 years ago so my memory is a bit faded on exactly what he used.

Edited by scot taco

IMO stickers applied wet never stick quite as well, so its a trade off, well stuck but a little wonky, or straight but may start to peel off a little sooner.

If i was forced to do a wet appication id only use water, no soap. They dont slide around as easy, but they are still moveable. Its the soap that causes adhesion problems. If you want to use soap, a drop, literally 

Id stay away from window cleaner, a lot now contain additives like silicone to decrease the streaks. As feetupfun say, thats probably why the cheaper brands are better, but i dont know if its worth the risk

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1