TRS clutch biting point

inchhigh

Hi my 18 250 clutch is a bit rough on the biting point . it's when I do tight turns it pushes the front . I run the nils gear oil . I see that you can get different spring plate anyone tryed these 

Edited by inchhigh

Get a go on another of the same and compare. It may be that there is a adjustment issue or the clutch may need stripping and all the plates checked for warping and rough edges etc. Not sure about the oil, but the manufacturers specification should be used on such a new bike. Maybe you need to go back to dealer and see if there is a warranty or rectification notification on this problem. I’m sure someone will be along soon with the oil type and fix for the clutch. ?

I've exactly the same bike than yours and the same problem.  I noticed a progressively harder and rough clutch durign the first 20 minutes after uncrated.  Drained the original oil («NILS» I suppose as owner's manual states).  Was extremly liquid with an horrible odour, lots of bubbles in surface, touch as dissolvent...  Both magnets in drains were full of a ferric-fibrose mud that I expect wasn't ride througt the holes that lubricate the main bearings.

After change to a common 75W gear oil, the thing goes better, but I suspect that the fiber discs are somehow degradated and inflated (so the harder touch in handlebar).

I've wrote a notification to TRS by mean of my dealer.  Could be a case of a bad batch of oil?  At the moment, I've no answer from factory, but I have confidence in Marc and Jordis.

Cheers,

JM

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem when I got my new 17 250 raga.

i was out of possible adjustment,different oils and bleeding the system 10 times as well new master cylinder and nothing helped.My importer take the bike and said he replace the whole clutch assembly but the bike did never have the clutch working good and always drag.

On the end I sold the bike.

6 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

In the uk speak to steve saunders he will advise.

Whether its a bad batch of oil based on two completely different makes of bikes is an assumption too far imho.

He is talking about a TRRS nigel .....GasGas do not sell a 17 Raga rep. All three bikes are TRS's

Edited by oni nou

Hi,

The new oil was better, but can't get ride of a pulsating clutch when you need a light, sustained slip.  Symptom of a damaged fiber disc, or warped metallic one...  I'll inspect the set, not a huge work but nasty in a brand new bike.

JM

• 5 months later...

Did you ever resolve this? First ride on mine today (2019 250 RR) and it was lovely to ride except the clutch wasn't behaving correctly. Always a tiny bit of drag which cause two 5s from stalls but the adjuster was all the way in so the clutch would only engage as the lever was almost all the way out, making it very snatchy. It's weird as it's got a bit of drag but is not at all progressive. 

I'm hoping it'll break in a bit and a change of oil after the first few hours will help but it's a worse clutch than my 2001 beta at the moment!

5 hours ago, al_orange said:

Did you ever resolve this? First ride on mine today (2019 250 RR) and it was lovely to ride except the clutch wasn't behaving correctly. Always a tiny bit of drag which cause two 5s from stalls but the adjuster was all the way in so the clutch would only engage as the lever was almost all the way out, making it very snatchy. It's weird as it's got a bit of drag but is not at all progressive. 

I'm hoping it'll break in a bit and a change of oil after the first few hours will help but it's a worse clutch than my 2001 beta at the moment!

Maybe because the adjuster screw is in so far, the plunger on the master cylinder is not able to return to the rest position fully when you release the lever.  It must do this to open the hole that charges the cylinder with fluid from the resevoir to give the system the correct range (at least that's my understanding).

I would back the adjuster off until there is a bit of free play at the lever and see what happens.

I have a new 18 gold and the clutch has very little drag, is light on the lever and has a nice slip zone.  Love it!

Edited by bluey
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion but there's definitely enough free play. The only things I can think of is:

1. It's brand new and needs to break in (hopefully)

2. It needs bleeding (which is disappointing)

3. There's something mechanically wrong (even more disappointing)

4. "They're all like that sir..."

27 minutes ago, huski said:

It isn't right,take it back,don't muck about with it

Thank you for the comment.

Had a quick chat to the dealer and he reckons it could be air related. Will check the fluid and hang the MC up over night and see. 

Really don't want to take it back unless I really have to. Bit of a trek and I'm fairly competent with spanners. But will see.