Side by side bike comparison?

doniton2

I’m think about getting a new bike and find lots of articales talking about all the changes in various bikes but no comairisons. Any other type of bike they will do shootouts and comparisons talking about the good and bad points of the bikes but I can’t find anything like that for trials bikes. Anyone know of a publication that does those sort of things? Thanks.

Every bike has a strong point, and every bike has a weak point. One its weight, the other its ignitions, the other is its clutch. It all comes down to personal preference

The two brands you are comparing ride rather different. The steep steering of the beta is hated by some because of its twitchyness, yet loved by others who cant necessarily hop and it allows them to get round tight corners. Its not about choosing the best bike, its choosing the best bike for you. You will hear this repeated by virtually everyone

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

It’s about time a manufacturer got the gearbox output shaft a bit closer to the swing arm pivot, now that would make a real difference to both rear suspension reaction and engine torque reaction on said pivot point. Vertigo looks as though they could be getting close, although Beta may be nearer. Someone a few years back did this on a M/X bike with the swing arm mounted on two separate pivots...one each side and the engine gearbox out put shaft sitting exactly in line with the pivot point. Produced very little difference in chain tension through the full swing arm movement meaning chain tensioner could be virtually done away with, there was also reduced tendency to wheelie under heavy throttle unless the rider wanted to loft the front. One issue was that the frame was slightly wider around the swing arm mounts and more reinforcing was used. Any thoughts trialists???‍?

BMW tried that when they introduced their new enduro 10 years ago. It didnt catch on

Oset have their motor mounted on the swingarm which removes this problem altogether. It introduces a complete new one though :lol:

Edited by faussy

5 hours ago, section swept said:

It’s about time a manufacturer got the gearbox output shaft a bit closer to the swing arm pivot, now that would make a real difference to both rear suspension reaction and engine torque reaction on said pivot point. Vertigo looks as though they could be getting close, although Beta may be nearer. Someone a few years back did this on a M/X bike with the swing arm mounted on two separate pivots...one each side and the engine gearbox out put shaft sitting exactly in line with the pivot point. Produced very little difference in chain tension through the full swing arm movement meaning chain tensioner could be virtually done away with, there was also reduced tendency to wheelie under heavy throttle unless the rider wanted to loft the front. One issue was that the frame was slightly wider around the swing arm mounts and more reinforcing was used. Any thoughts trialists???‍?

It's been done before (think it was Duncan MacDonald) problem ins there is no grip with this set up.

On 7/18/2018 at 12:32 PM, Nebulous said:
7 hours ago, section swept said:

As we’re still in 2018 that’s a question for the future!?? ?

I have seen them not start in 16,17 and now 18. 19 must be a winner. They do sound good when running.

The 2019 Vertigo is a definite contender.

1 hour ago, Nebulous said:

That’s quite alright lads - I appreciate the support.

At least Vertigo have dropped their “Frog in a liquidiser” look for 2019 - and instead , have reverted to a “Frog after a night in a heavy S&M club” look.

Anyway , nice to know you’re both right behind me in my endeavours to wring the last ounce out of a company that I predicted won’t be producing bikes in 2020.   And I was so grateful when they installed the 2019 engine and ignition into my bike for no charge.

It is always good to have friends world wide!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, section swept said:

and as done by Yrjo Vesterinen with his Bultaco in the early 1980s. Nothing new under the sun