Yamaha TY 250 mono

whatmore

Hi I've got  Yamaha TY 250 mono The rear shock seems a bit soft when I'm on the bike The spring is on the hardest setting I was wondering if it's possible to get the shock serviced or where could I get a replacement....Thanks to any replies 

Aftermarket shocks for your bike have become available in the last couple of years and probably have a superior action to the original Yamaha unit even if it was in perfect condition. You probably need to ask yourself how serious you are about suspension performance.

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1

Hi whatmore,

They say its a non serviceable unit but there was a guy on Facebook who actually did his own.

Is your shock just bottoming out or is it actually lost all damping+rebound.

if it's just bottoming out just slice the bottom bracket off where it bolts to the linkage and pack out with a few mil of  steel plate and re-weld,did this on mine and sorted the bottoming out problem.

Like @slack said. I’m the wrong side of the 12st ideal weight for the shock and it bottomed out probably every trial.

I drilled a hole offset by 2mm from centre of a 20mm bar. Then drilled out the shock mount on the swinging arm to 20mm and welded it into the hole. I was surprised how much difference 2mm made. 

Thanks for your replies ...i am a touch over 15 stone as soon as i get on the bike it seems to go over 2 thirds of the way down the damping and rebound seems fine just soft and the spring is on the hardest setting

Edited by whatmore