74 ty250 seat base brackets

T5avs1

I am after brackets to suit the original designed seat base the yellow part and the seat that goes on top. I have brought some aftermarket seat brackets from tytrials to try but they do not fit, (about an inch to short) they must be for a newer ty 

i think it might be this type I'm after but don't know the measurements so can't be sure.   

Also need The seat too 

thanks 

IMG_5249.PNG

You won’t find a new genuine seat, they are like rocking horse poo rare! They are not that complicated and to fabricate some out of metal would not be st all difficult. I got a very good replica (grp) with the right type of cover all complete for about £70 from Yambits they may have the brackets but don’t hold your breath. I took this route as all of the seat/saddle refurb companies that I cantacted either offered indifferent replies or were extremely expensive. Hope you have succcess. By the way the original Yamaha TY seat bases were not well thought out, if the seat cover leaked water into the seat foam there was no escape so it sat on the metal base eventually rotting the metal. Also the metal seat base is very close to the air filter cover inlet, any flexing in the seat base causes the seat base to touch the filter inlet which then bends and retsticts the air flow going into the filter housing; something to watch out for. This seat base flexing also causes cracks to appear if you are a bit heavy so ensure your replacement seat is correctly supported underneath. 

I’d be wary of any internet offered seats as they will invariably be rusted and welded up increasing weight and hiding nasty filler etc. You can find TY seat covers on the net and offered by some retailers but again be careful in making your choice.??

1648C999-3E45-4399-9671-88CCF98C20FF.jpeg

8D883BE2-0E4D-49F1-9B31-F874FD1555CA.jpeg

9783E03C-AE9C-4B80-9CE0-7BA5FB1867B0.jpeg

section swept, the A model seat that T5avs1 is seeking is nothing like what you have shown in your photos. You have shown the seat for C, D and E models TY250.

The original seats on the A (and B model TY250) were also a very poor design with a thin steel skeletal frame glued to a foam pad and a vinyl cover glued to the pad and wrapped around the underside of the steel frame. The thin steel frame had captive nuts for the mounting brackets attached and 6mm steel bolts went through the brackets and the fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing. Because these original seats fell apart quickly, Yamaha developed an improved design that had a moulded plastic base which fitted very well to the original fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing and were sold as a replacement part. I only know this because one of my TY250Bs came with this plastic base seat design, with part number sticker still attached.

I do not know of anyone still making replica seat bases that fit on the A, B models fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing. It wouldn't be too hard to make from scratch a seat base that will fit against the fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing if you were really keen to retain the original look. However most people I know do away with the fibreglass shroud and buy an aftermarket (C,D, E) seat or seat base as shown in section swept's photos and weld on a couple of mounting plates to their A or B model frames to replicate the C, D, E model seat mounting plates.

The brackets shown in the T5avs1 photo are seat brackets for A and B models seat design and their lower ends attach to the inner ends of the upper shockie mounts. The small hole in the end of one of the brackets is for a spring that pulls the end muffler forwards. I don't know of any supplier of the A, B model seat brackets, but they would be easy to fabricate.

I have just found this seat on eBay which says it is for the a and b model does this look about right to you? 

As for the brackets i need the originals or fabricate some new ones as I dont want to weld new mounting plates onto my frame as i have already had it painted. 

This is the bike bike so far 

IMG_5244.JPG

• Like 1

Yes that does look like the right seat to suit the A and B model fibreglass seat surround.

I looked at the remaining photos on that listing on eBay and had trouble seeing if there were holes for the rear mounting bracket bolts or not.

I see you have a C, D, E rear guard fitted. You may need to shorten the front end of that guard to fit the fibreglass seat surround.

hola,- just my two penneth fwiw- but  i found a complete original seat assembly, pan, and hardware for the TY250A in fantastic condition on the bay recently for $175 so don't give up hope! :)

it originally had the long trail seat so i was keen to find the original as its a few inches lower and narrower.

hope you find what you need!

20180704_111333.jpg

• Like 1

I have just purchased an original seat and brackets this afternoon it needs new foam and cover on it But atleast I know it will all fit. Does anyone know a round about cost for refurbing a seat? 

Thanks for your help 

On 22/07/2018 at 1:05 PM, feetupfun said:

section swept, the A model seat that T5avs1 is seeking is nothing like what you have shown in your photos. You have shown the seat for C, D and E models TY250.

The original seats on the A (and B model TY250) were also a very poor design with a thin steel skeletal frame glued to a foam pad and a vinyl cover glued to the pad and wrapped around the underside of the steel frame. The thin steel frame had captive nuts for the mounting brackets attached and 6mm steel bolts went through the brackets and the fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing. Because these original seats fell apart quickly, Yamaha developed an improved design that had a moulded plastic base which fitted very well to the original fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing and were sold as a replacement part. I only know this because one of my TY250Bs came with this plastic base seat design, with part number sticker still attached.

I do not know of anyone still making replica seat bases that fit on the A, B models fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing. It wouldn't be too hard to make from scratch a seat base that will fit against the fibreglass shroud/surround/fairing if you were really keen to retain the original look. However most people I know do away with the fibreglass shroud and buy an aftermarket (C,D, E) seat or seat base as shown in section swept's photos and weld on a couple of mounting plates to their A or B model frames to replicate the C, D, E model seat mounting plates.

The brackets shown in the T5avs1 photo are seat brackets for A and B models seat design and their lower ends attach to the inner ends of the upper shockie mounts. The small hole in the end of one of the brackets is for a spring that pulls the end muffler forwards. I don't know of any supplier of the A, B model seat brackets, but they would be easy to fabricate.

I must look more carefully at the year, of course the A had that fibre glass seat cowl a bit like a Rickman Metisse used to wear. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T5avs1 said:

I have just purchased an original seat and brackets this afternoon it needs new foam and cover on it But atleast I know it will all fit. Does anyone know a round about cost for refurbing a seat? 

Thanks for your help 

Did you get a plastic-base original seat?

Around here, depending on which upholsterer you use, they cost between $80 and $150 total for foam and cover if you give them the seat base ready to go.

The johnnyjazz photo seat has the thin skeletal steel frame which can be tricky to separate from the rest of the seat.

• 1 year later...