TLM rings

markg

41 minutes ago, petert said:

Delay in Spain used to show pistons on his website, but be sitting before you look at the price!

I had a look at that site but couldn’t see any pistons. 

3 hours ago, markg said:

I had a look at that site but couldn’t see any pistons. 

So you need oversize piston to...if the cost is prohibitive to you then why not consider looking for a complete engine...or with a bit of research you may be able to cross reference the parts to another. You may be surprised to learn that not many  bike manufacturers make their own pistons etc but state design needs to a piston manufacturer who then either makes or has a stock item that matches the design brief. This is how a lot of after market stuff gets into the market place. If you can make contact with a engineering company that does rebore work and engine overhauls, they might try to match up your original parts from information they have. If you are making the TLM into a 260 from 220 I think that was the original capacity you may well have to use a piston from another bike. The small/little end bearings are also mass produced and not just made for one specific type of piston, hope you are following this information as it can open up more choices to you, you might even find that costs to you are significantly less than those being bandied about by internet and other sellers. Obviously the aforementioned info applies to the piston rings as well, if not more so.??

Edited by section swept

On 23/07/2018 at 7:55 AM, section swept said:

There you go then!

Yep, it is a 260cc TLM. I have searched catalogues for something similar but nothing as yet. I can get a genuine Honda piston at an expense but no rings. I matched up a conrod but the crank pin is too short so need to get one made and as yet no one is capable. Cost is a problem but want to get this bike going so have pay to play....

• Sad 1

Baneyers have stock piston at €375 Have you tried these people...?

Another contact John Oldfield....Honda parts only tel. 02380 630326 

Hope you get something to meet your needs?

Forgot to add David Silver Honda Spares, have a look down the stock list on their website, prices are reasonable and you may just be lucky?

Edited by section swept

There are companies in UK and the Netherlands that will make rings from your choice of material. As to cost, well they may have stock of the sizes you need or not. Like with all things in the engine trade the vehicle manufacturer, motorcycle manufacturer don’t make their own pistons or rings, they get them supplied from a piston maker who has all sorts as stock holding. I dare say that as Australia is a progressive country that there must be manufacturers ‘down under’ that may be able to help. Good luck ? 

On 26/07/2018 at 8:35 AM, section swept said:

There are companies in UK and the Netherlands that will make rings from your choice of material. As to cost, well they may have stock of the sizes you need or not. Like with all things in the engine trade the vehicle manufacturer, motorcycle manufacturer don’t make their own pistons or rings, they get them supplied from a piston maker who has all sorts as stock holding. I dare say that as Australia is a progressive country that there must be manufacturers ‘down under’ that may be able to help. Good luck ? 

Names or websites of any companies would be great! 

I have enquired many places here and abroad and no one can help,,, or can be bothered. 

Try these companies.

www.thn.nl/product-line/piston-rings

www.hastingspistonrings.com

I got these companies and explored what they do, by the way they carry stocks of rings there must surely be a match to your requirements. Bore size and piston nomenclature will be needed for this to happen?May be if you hit them with the size you need you might get a favourable response.?

Edited by section swept

Another possibility is to find a standard set of rings to match your bore and then get the piston modified to accept them 

You have to make sure whoever modifies the piston for you understands about side clearance, but its not rocket science.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:59 AM, markg said:

Yep, it is a 260cc TLM. I have searched catalogues for something similar but nothing as yet. I can get a genuine Honda piston at an expense but no rings. I matched up a conrod but the crank pin is too short so need to get one made and as yet no one is capable. Cost is a problem but want to get this bike going so have pay to play....

What was the conrod you managed to match up?