stupidity prize?

markparrish

If there is such a thing, I feel I should nominate myself! .... Just getting my bike ready for trial this Sunday (should have done all this after last time, I know) - quick clean, changed filter, checked fluids, pumped up leaky rear, filled up fuel...all the usual stuff, then thought I'd just start it up. Nothing!...I tried choke in, choke out, not a chance. Took plug out and checked/cleaned it, still no joy. Cleaned out carb...Then I spotted the problem... no lanyard fitted! Derrr.

Two kicks and a massive blue cloud later it was running sweetly! I guess it's the simple things sometimes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I do know for a certain rider that cleaned the inside of the airbox and left the paper towel in - bike ran fine on tick over but stopped abruptly when the throttle was opened sufficient to suck the said towel into the inlet tract   - I've heard of cleaning your carb but thats :P:P 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, markparrish said:

I'm enjoying all these - and the reassurance that it isn't only me!!

So have you gone upstairs and forgotten why you went? Or gone downstairs only to find what you went for is still......upstairs.???‍♂️

Edited by section swept
  • Like 2

Went to a trial, kicked bike a few times, then realised lanyard was left on a shelf in the garage, this was followed by desperately searching every orifice in the van until that tatty old spare was found

• Like 1

Travelled all the way to Brands Hatch for the Trade and Press Barons Trial ( in the woods). Arrived, unloaded bikes, got riding gear out........no freeking boots. Left on office desk back at the shop miles and miles away. I’m a size 10 had to wear someone else’s size 8’s welly boots very uncomfortable. 

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1

I have done the lanyard thing a few times,

On an old bike of mine I had a sticker "Turn the gas on dummy", this would be due to forgetting to do so many times.

@biffsgasgas has a habit of forgetting socks......... good thing I usually bring a few pair..... mostly washed. :D

A friend has a Montesa that after washing it would not start, and if it did it wouldn't run very long.  Text message advice back and forth, turns out he had an airbox cover made to keep water out during washing.  Yep, he forgot to remove the cover.

I split the cases on my GasGas, upon re-assembly I had a leftover thrust washer.  Luckily it was for the kickstarter and I just had to remove the clutch cover to put it in the right spot.