1976 TY175 frame bracket reference needed.

aolshove

Hello.  I'm a new member here and am working on my dad's 76 TY175.  He had broken the frame muffler mount many many years ago and had just bailing wired the muffler up to the frame and now that I'm working on getting it running again, I want to fabricate a new muffler mounting bracket that is welded to the bottom of the rear-right seat frame tube.  Would it be possible for somebody to draw or trace that small triangular bracket and email it to me so I can reproduce it (somewhat) and weld it to the frame?  Thanks for any help or references provided.

It's not a flat bracket so you will need more than a tracing to replicate it exactly. I have a TY175 frame that is undamaged if you want photos. I'm assuming yours is the competition frame because they are the ones with the weak bracket. There are other 1976 model TY175s that have a much more substantial bracket. The frame type I'm thinking you have is frame number prefix 525

19 hours ago, feetupfun said:

It's not a flat bracket so you will need more than a tracing to replicate it exactly. I have a TY175 frame that is undamaged if you want photos. I'm assuming yours is the competition frame because they are the ones with the weak bracket. There are other 1976 model TY175s that have a much more substantial bracket. The frame type I'm thinking you have is frame number prefix 525

Hello.  Thanks for your help.  I understand the complex shape of the bracket (rolled edge for strength) and that's okay.  Even with a tracing I can allow for additional "meat" to the edge to allow for rolling the edge up (I'm very adept at fabricating stuff like this).  What would be helpful is the overall dimensions and the placement of the mounting hole.  Otherwise, I would very much appreciate a simple photo as it would at least give me a place to start as the broken section of the bracket has been missing now for several decades.  Thank you for any help you may be willing to provide.

- Alex O.

46 minutes ago, guy53 said:

Nice Alpina, David

Guy

Thanks Guy. I actually rode it in a race (an enduro sprint for vintage bikes) recently and it was fabulous to ride. It was the first decent ride I've had on it after transforming it from a basket case.

• Like 1

Well you ain't going to make one of those, unless you have a 200 ton stamp press and the correct dies.

So you will need to fabricate it out of 6-8mm sheet steel, and machine the angled curve to match the frame.   Then how to provide the screwed portion is up to you.  

The standard exhaust does attach via a twin rubber bushed Dog-Bone, but I have seen many different types used, some with and some without the rubber inserts.   The Dog-Bone piece is 28mm centre to centre (others are up to 40mm.) and hangs down at whatever angle is required to fit.

Edited by scifi
28mm

On 7/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, scifi said:

Well you ain't going to make one of those, unless you have a 200 ton stamp press and the correct dies.

So you will need to fabricate it out of 6-8mm sheet steel, and machine the angled curve to match the frame.   Then how to provide the screwed portion is up to you.  

The standard exhaust does attach via a twin rubber bushed Dog-Bone, but I have seen many different types used, some with and some without the rubber inserts.   The Dog-Bone piece is 28mm centre to centre (others are up to 40mm.) and hangs down at whatever angle is required to fit.

Hmmm.. well, I did make one of those out of 2mm sheet metal.  Yeah, I measured the gauge before choosing my stock, that bracket steel is only 2mm thick.  I cold formed it with a good ol' fashioned hammer, dolly, and anvil.  No, it's not exactly like the factory down to the mm but a tad larger.  You're right in that it was tough to do but it's close enough to the factory piece to get me by. 

I still have the dog-bone piece but the rubber was removed years ago so I made a new rubber insert and bolted it back together with a 10mm bolt and locking nut.  

I'll post a pic of the rig after I weld it onto the frame just so's you can have a good laugh.  :facepalm:

Thanks for the help guys!

• Like 1

Just thought I'd post the repaired frame/bracket.  Again, thanks for the reference pics and advice.   Sorry, my welding sucks.  It was hard for me to see what I was doing up under the frame member.

IMG_20180731_200800.thumb.jpg.3b4441e77b3b2cdb951a599cfa93d6d7.jpgMVIMG_20180804_134723.thumb.jpg.c6d9e1ed523fc73812d23f0449681db7.jpgIMG_20180804_162523.thumb.jpg.37bbc5a6b13f1197a9ad21a57ab214d6.jpgMVIMG_20180804_162540.thumb.jpg.4c9f5dfc7aeba5990af02c6ba8237328.jpgMVIMG_20180804_162824.thumb.jpg.81b144392f8a74daac9c542de6f28a24.jpg

Edited by aolshove
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got it running this weekend!

New headlight, fork dust boots, fuel petcock and lines, and air filter. Rebuilt the carb, serviced the front forks, cleaned and derusted the fuel tank, cleaned the frame, put the original seat back on, changed the oil, and repaired the broken muffler mount.  The headlight cage is missing, my dad added an extra chamber to the muffler, and she has some battle scars.

I rode it back in high school and dad used it for hunting and irrigating. I might ride it off road now and again but it's satisfying to hear it run again.

Thanks for the help with the muffler mount.

TY175_2.jpg

TY175_1.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The double-chamber muffler looks interesting. How does it work?

You know, I haven't opened it up to take a look at it yet.  I'll do that and report back.  Probably couldn't hurt to replace the packing anyway.

• Like 1