Scott trial- What to expect/how to prepare

lampshade

Hi all,

So this year will be my first ever scott, excited,nervous and a load more emotions are currently running through my mind. 

I have a good friend who has rode the scott numerous times and tried to explain how he sees it and the best ways to prepare.

I am in no way looking to finish as after watching it for the last ten years i know just how hard it is.

Just wanted to pick the brains of people that have rode the event before or locals on what to exactly expect.

How to train?

What to expect in sections?

Mental approach?

The going between sections?

Pacing yourself?

bike prep?

All these questions and so much more, i will be riding a 4RT so any bike specific advice would also be welcome. 

Truth is it is nervousness at the start, then you settle in, and it’s fine for a petrol check or 2, then reality kicks in when the top boys plough past, then the general pace takes its toll and you start to get knackered! After that it’s a case of auto pilot and hang on as best you can! 

Sections are of a good national standard, but the pace and general tiredness makes them a lot harder. Def try to stop and have a quick look before entering each section. Your rushing but it will pay dividends. 

In terms of training I found best approach was as much trials bike time as poss but what also worked for me was a lot of miles on a road  push bike. Helped with fitness and stamina. 

Last thing I’d say is nothing can prepare you fully for it as it is unique but whilst it’s murder the atmosphere and encouragement you get from the day is as one off!

just make sure your as fit as can be! 

• Like 2

Bike prep - read some of the SSDT bike prep articles written by John Lampkin and John Shirt - especially keeping mud out of rads and air box etc.

The monts are sturdy beasts so a good general fettle -  check fluids, new brake pads, spokes, linkages etc - a larger bash plate f not already fitted or the SSDT type protectors etc.

I found last time that the enduro / motorcross  type donuts on the grips helped reduce blisters .

Would suggest getting the bike sorted a week or 2 in advance then ride it to make sure everything bedded in and tight  -then just a good once over the week before.

If you can find a bit of land with stream sections and a biggish lap with moor work or similar then just practice ridding it for several hours without stopping - when you can do that for a few hours and still feel ok youl'll be ok to the first petrol stop :lol::lol: ..

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 1

Expect it to hurt and expect to be broken in body and mind. I don't think anything can prepare you for the brutality of pushing yourself and bike to the absolute limit for up to 8hours.

You'll love it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrsunt said:

Expect it to hurt and expect to be broken in body and mind. I don't think anything can prepare you for the brutality of pushing yourself and bike to the absolute limit for up to 8hours.

You'll love it.

Bloody hell john, you’d lap it twice in that time!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 1:48 PM, dmc2028372 said:

Truth is it is nervousness at the start, then you settle in, and it’s fine for a petrol check or 2, then reality kicks in when the top boys plough past, then the general pace takes its toll and you start to get knackered! After that it’s a case of auto pilot and hang on as best you can! 

Sections are of a good national standard, but the pace and general tiredness makes them a lot harder. Def try to stop and have a quick look before entering each section. Your rushing but it will pay dividends. 

In terms of training I found best approach was as much trials bike time as poss but what also worked for me was a lot of miles on a road  push bike. Helped with fitness and stamina. 

Last thing I’d say is nothing can prepare you fully for it as it is unique but whilst it’s murder the atmosphere and encouragement you get from the day is as one off!

just make sure your as fit as can be! 

Hi appreciate this, i wasn't sure of section difficulty, i ride clubman course normally but never rode any national or higher end events. Im hoping because of my tall nature and being relatively strong i can push and pull it when i get stick if thats the case...until my arms cant take anymore. 

13 hours ago, jrsunt said:

You'll love it.

Could i juts put a tow rope on you John?  after years of watching you seem to know your way around lol

On a serious note though, what is the general going/difficulty of sections? Iv rode a few years of extreme enduros so the pain iv felt in that should relate slightly....i hope. 

I’m no fitness master but I’d consider having a good healthy diet concentrating on slow release foods. Plan to take the minimal tools that will cover most normal eventualities and put plastic tube or caps over the sharp items, just in case you fall and end up with a screwdriver stuck in your side. Walk when you can for added exercise. Drink water, little sips and often to get you hydrated. When in action sips only no gulps, you’ll get wind and be uncomfortable. ?

• 2 months later...

Becks went green early September but the moors are dry, apart from one mega deluge where I got soaked through in under 5 minutes I don't think I've got wet on my two days a week on the grouse. Rain for late in the week should make it nice & greasy on top, new front tyre essential.