TY Fork Stanchions

cub200

G'day folks, ex pat from the Midland centre now based in Queensland Australia for the last 38 years.

I spend more time working on bikes these days than riding them, TY Yamaha's in particular.

I think its a general problem but all the bikes I see have some level of rust pitting on the stanchions.

1;      Is there a sure fire way of fixing this problem besides getting the tubes hard chromed which costs more than most TY's are worth over here. I've heard epoxy resin or araldite can be used and smoothed down but how successful is it ?

2;      Where can I buy new stanchions from in the UK or anywhere else, TY175 in particular.

3;      Coming to ride the Manx Classic in a few weeks (no 199) and will be based in Birmingham if anyone has a good pair of 175 stanchions to sell I would be very grateful.

Any advice offered I will be a happy old trials rider. 

Thats it from sunny Brisbane

Galps 

Edited by cub200
  • Like 1

You might look up ebay worldwide especially US, UK and France for forks.

Also Craiglist in US, Gumtree in Britain and Leboncoin in France.

I like to work with what I have and when the stanchions are too shiny!, pitted with rust and also just a little bit bent (a few mm) or not straight.

They get a new chrome finish and get straightened. There are companies in the UK that do that. O sent mine to a company in Germany:

Wissing Hartchrom in Vellmar

They are professionalists in hardchrome stuff from propellershafts for vessels to hydraulic shafts for digging maschines.

Costs are not higher then a pair of NOS ones.

• 2 weeks later...