Where can you purchase TL 250 parts in Australia?

82desmo

Depends what you want mate, the engine is pretty much the same as early XL's & i would think brakes forks etc would also be on other Honda models ?

I know my tlr is newer than a tl, but the only things i can't get original is pistons & mudguards

hello Mal,

I built my tl125 and tl250 from ebay parts mostly, things like the plug cap and sparkplugs and gaskets are available thru honda still though and it is best to always check the microfiche first for availability, then go to used sources. I actually found on ebay a new old stock tl250 motor that I started for its first time in 2016, so my 250 has ultra low hours on it. my wifes 125 has a newly rebuilt engine with a sl125 cam and piston and top secret heat shield to open up the intake to 25mm instead of 22mm . for photos of me and agent 99s bike look at the post in honda forum "happy new year" we were playing on new years day in the snow and posted photos of the bikes. 

Thanks guys for your replies...

I have seen a lot of parts available on Ebay, however the freight costs are huge (US$33 freight on fork seals), so I thought there must be a local alternative that you guys would be familiar with.

The TL250 parts I am after are (but not limited to):

• Fork seals and duct caps
  • Front guard and mounting frame
  • Rear guard
  • Rear muffler
  • Side covers

She ain't no Pebble Beach show bike, so aftermarket parts are fine as long as they are in period with the bikes age.

9 hours ago, 82desmo said:

Thanks guys for your replies...

I have seen a lot of parts available on Ebay, however the freight costs are huge (US$33 freight on fork seals), so I thought there must be a local alternative that you guys would be familiar with.

The TL250 parts I am after are (but not limited to):

• Fork seals and duct caps
  • Front guard and mounting frame
  • Rear guard
  • Rear muffler
  • Side covers

She ain't no Pebble Beach show bike, so aftermarket parts are fine as long as they are in period with the bikes age.

Sometimes you will need to buy from overseas. When I do that, I choose a place that has as many things that I need as possible to minimise the overall freight cost, especially on bulky things like mudguards and sidecovers.

For fork seals try MXstore at the Gold Coast or work out what modern bike uses the same size seals and buy them from the dealer. It's very likely to have a size that is still being used in something. What size are they?

As for fork scrapers I've seen some at a good price in Thailand, maybe not TL250 size.

Be aware that they sold most TL250s in North America and Australia so the usual good places for old trials bike parts (UK and Spain and France) may not have much.

• Thanks 1

The fork seals , orings, and sealing washers are all still available thru honda  for a complete fork service. They are shown in stock at my distributor. a quick word about tl250 side panels, they were a flawed design. There was no support designed into the panel where your leg applies pressure when balancing the motorcycle in trials situations, the first time u lean on them a little u hear a crack, its the panel splitting. for side panels I found a pair on ebay that  had both split in two. I mixed up a batch of epoxy resin from a quart bottle of surfboard building epoxy. I layed up the backside of the panels with epoxy and fiberglass to mend them back together , then for support I fashioned a roughly .375 inch piece of wood to epoxy to the backside of the side panel right where it runs along the frame at the top edge. the wood strip fills the gap that allows the panel to flex and crack.  now they are tough as nails and I can have all sorts of fun static balancing the bike and run four laps around a trial and not hear the dreaded side panel crack. the aftermarket side panels are even more fragile than the originals, I tried a pair and cracked them very quickly before I repaired and upgraded a pair of originals for my bike. its kind of funny because the side panels were actually a featured item in the tl250 brochure as being newly engineered ultralight weight pieces that were a trick part of the new bike.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 7:47 AM, feetupfun said:

OK I looked at the "Happy New Year" posting and 86 and 99's bikes do look fabulous. Being quite a fan of Get Smart, I'm now really keen on seeing photos of 86 and 99 and hearing 99 say breathily "Oh Max" as Max rides past

Oh Max! ( you will have to imagine the breathiness)....Thank you for the kind words on our TL's , we love them - my husband found the TL125 on craigslist after I accidentally wheelied the 2015 Montesa across the back yard, I obviously needed something with less power. It is perfect for a beginner off road rider! We then proceeded to replace almost every major component until it was acceptably nice. 

reflex 004.jpg

DSC05684.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4