tsiklonaut

a smoky TR280i

My 2013 TR280i has started to smoke recently, any idea what might be the cause? 

Doesn't run so well as well and it doesn't seem to be the fuel mixture issue, I've tried with a different fresh fuel/oil mixture and still the same.

I figure it's maybe a gearbox oil leaking slowly into crankcase room, but where that leak might occur, a bad crakshaft seal in one side? Any ideas?

Take the flywheel off and look for residue or loose or sheared bolts on the plate that holds and seals the crankshaft, gasket can go and lots of smoke is a sign of this. I would check this side first

Are you losing any gearbox oil?  

Measure what you put in, then what you take out when you next change the oil.

Edited by Andy

I think I could tell by the smell if the bikes using transmission oil imagine the exhaust would be a bit dribbly too.

About 3 years ago mine went right of song like a regular bike running with the choke on. Must have felt brave and adjusted the sensor by hand mind you I didn't totally slacken it just enough as move it a minute amount.

Just listening to the motor until it took throttle nice and clean and set it at that.

Can't even mind which way I moved it but it'll be obvious if you give it a go and mind to mark the original position.

Anyway I take no responsibility for this post if you destroy your motor all I'll say is mine's still perfect after all this time and it's done a load of work.

What could possibly go wrong! 

I’ve found I need to adjust and reset the TPS about every 100 hours to keep it in top running form.

Cheers guys for the great info!

Will check the TPS first, if OK then see if there's oil in the magneto side of the crank when I have time on the weekend.

OSSA people the best! :)

TPS was spot-on 600 mV, also no oil in magneto chamber. Wonder if it's the other side of the crank seal? If so then I'm fecked since it needs complete crank removal to get there...