New Member and new to me Bultaco Sherpa T’s

Cribbs74

First time poster and of course I have a few questions.

I picked up 2 very rough Bultaco Sherpas. One is a Model 125 and is just a frame, the other is a Model 151 and is basically just a roller with engine.

The Frames on these are quite different one has a cradle under the engine and bash plate, the other has just a bash plate and no cradle. Not sure if that is normal or not. 

Frame numbers are as follows:

JB-12502105

JB-1500724

Engine Numbers:

M-12502105

M-15100724

Lastly, where can I get parts? I have seen a couple US Bultaco suppliers as well as a couple overseas suppliers, but those are all new parts. Where do I go for used parts? Surely Ebay is not the only source.

I need a lot of small parts, things that aren’t reproduced or NOS.

I am attaching a couple photo’s of the frames so you guys can tell me what is wrong. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron Cribbs

E3F1776C-0B1A-4E87-A92F-A17B4DD805B9.jpeg

D1E86544-8292-4DB8-AB78-B4D6BF98BE2E.jpeg

552808C9-12DA-4554-973B-E653DA2E2AE7.jpeg

3BBEDE45-7CA3-475E-B21E-99EE5EBA0F8C.jpeg

0AB77411-C6E5-4F2F-9AA2-934E8DB2ADC7.jpeg

9F6F2804-7460-41EC-82FF-B52089729B25.jpeg

Welcome Cribbs74,

Like you, I started my Bultaco resto project about months ago, and I'm almost at the point when I can start to enjoy the riding (I've enjoyed the building immensely). My initial budget was way off though, I've spent far more than I expected, but I do consider it worth it, to have a go at many of the things I hadn't done before. Lots of great people on this forum.

In terms of parts, I think the Sherpa parts are one of the most readily available due I think to the bikes popularity. There isn't anything I haven't been able to source eventually (although original pistons are tricky).

In addition to Hughes Bultaco in NY check out http://www.bultacoaustralia.com (who I have got used parts from in the past)

I'm sure there are many other shops that are not english speaking, I get a lot of Spanish results in my searches, and there is a pretty good Spanish Facebook page.

Cheers,

Edited by cornishflyer

I've found that buying incomplete bikes is OK but you can usually benefit by buying a few of the same or similar type to allow making up one complete bike. Buying missing parts from someone selling individual parts can get very expensive

Yes, that’s why I was wanting to find used as building a whole bike out of NOS or repro parts would be way too expensive.

a parts bike would be good, but I haven’t Run across any yet.

can anybody comment on the frames? 

I believe those frames are pretty similar but could be wrong.I do know that they would have both had frame rails under the engine.The one with just a skid plate has been modified that way which was a pretty common mod.For used parts call Bultaco Classics in NY or Lynn Mobely at Mobelys Bultaco.I have only delt with Bultaco Classics which use to be called Hughs Bultaco.Same people and they have a ton of used parts not listed on their website.

• Like 1

Back to the frames again. I need to replace the cradle frame tubes that attach to the skidplate on the M-151. They have been bashed nearly flat. Does anyone have an idea as to the tubing thickness? What type of steel were used on these frames? Chromoly? 

Thanks,

Ron

Those frames were made at a time when Bultaco frames were starting to be made from chrome moly steel so it might or might not be. Not a problem though because you can successfully weld chrome moly tubing to other common alloy steels and to mild steel. If it was me I would use whatever I could find that was the correct OD, so it looked right. Frame tubes under the engine on a trials bike cop quite a beating so going thicker wall than what you might use if you were trying to make it as light as possible might be a good idea. I would use 2mm wall or thicker.

If you want to measure the existing tube thickness, grind part-way through the tube with an angle grinder somewhere in the damaged area.

• Like 1