Is it just me?

hartzero

Good laugh but the reality is the US is one of the most devided countries around and you're probably quite likely to get shot going to that cabana bar at 8am.

Anyway Trials is massive here compared with the US but it's all funded with good people giving up there time and energy to put a shedload of events on up and down the country.

That's the British way try and help each other out.

Now when it comes to promoting something like a WTC it's different and needs some outside help.

No doubt the promoters will get very little help if any so it'll have to be self funding that's why they need a bit cash at the gate.

Well better go now and set out tomorrows Trial. 

• Thanks 1

Other countries must be bearing the costs, venue, promotion, insurance, admin all have price, but we also have a bit of an everything at profit attitude. 

Italy was going to have an Italexit then changed its mind at the thought of having to pay to see the world round, which is a complete lie that I made up, but what else would you expect to hear from a politician like me, which is another lie. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, hartzero said:

Why is it when I attend World rounds in Europe i.e recently France and Andorra there is no charge to view?

For the privileged of attending the UK round I have to pay £30.

Don't get me wrong, I can afford £30, just throwing it out there for discussion...........

Competition licenses in Spain are about €300 pa, think I'd rather spend 30 quid to watch a world round. ?

• Like 3

Other countries get a lot of support from their national federations, local government, tourism offices etc.

The nature of many of the events abroad makes it impossible to charge people - can you imagine trying to police what could be a 10-15km loop making sure everyone had passes? (Some of them do charge for passes to take a bike round, but that's another story). All UK events - Hawkstone, Fort William, Nord Vue, Tong and now Addingham have been closed circuit, compact venues. Easy for spectators to move around, but also make charging for the privilege possible.

They don't have all the red tape/bureaucracy/health and safety bollocks hoops that have to be jumped through in the UK.

All that said, the World round at Tong last year was free to ACU Members and it was hardly bursting at the seams. In fact spectator numbers were surprisingly low given how much Trials folk like free stuff.

• Like 4

If running a UK world round is so profitable why isn't there a queue of well known sports promoters and TV companies lined up outside ACUHQ? As Andy says I think the risk/ vs reward is a bit too exciting for most folk. I've bought my ticket as I hope it'll be a sell out and a win for Mr Dibs in glorious sunshine. However I also have my waterproofs pressed and ironed just in case my rose tinted spectacles fail me. So I would say well done to the promotors and I hope you make a decent return on your investment.

10 hours ago, faussy said:

You should enter the world round! With all that wishful thinking you would win!!

Hey I’m going to talk to Boris and get some advice, you know such as what bike to use, suitable helmet ??‍?and a good hairdresser ?‍?too! Being British or should I be English? maybe the House can debate that conundrum and arrive at a unanimous decision before 2023???‍♂️?‍????⏳Anyway I’ll be wearing hobnail boots and red and white footie socks nicely rolled down to give protection to my shins. Boris did mention that the pivotal points should be moved back, so depending on what bike I end up with I guess the footrests will have to be moved back to the rear wheel spindle with suitable rearset brexit pedal and voting lever. With this I ought to be able to bunny hop right around the ballot box and thus aging massive sponsorship from the House. I will of course need to have a practice and training??‍♀️?‍♂️???‍♂️ camp, this will most probably be Dubai☀️ or Mexico☀️☀️however in reality a ⛺️based on Six Hills Way ?Stevenage⛈. My riding jacket will be conservative, the socks were a laborious choice, trousers and jacket will have a liberal application of sponsors labels held on with duct tape. Boris says I can use a similar Helmet to his but not to use a Union Jack as it might upset other countries.

So do I go Vertical or Bettaware or British Gas +1 or Raleigh Gripster?????????

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, oni nou said:

If there is any extra money kicking around the last place it is going is on the NHS,Police and the roads...sorry I got to go with faussy on that.....if it does my hat is going to taste bad.

You are probably right, there are more important areas that need money, politicians pay rise, politicians pay rise, they do a good job, they do a good job. Of course HS2 must go....ahead we need to waste as much money as possible just like we do on the E f*****U! Ever had that de ja vu feeling. 

• Like 1

This topic is killing me. I recently attempted to get tickets for a friend and his wife to whatch 90 minutes of Newcastle playing Tottingham at Wembley stadium and the tikets, if I could have got them, were £87.00 each. I really think that's to do with Brexit too!!!!

Edited by windlestone1
Spelling!

1 hour ago, windlestone1 said:

I really think that's to do with Brexit too!!!!

It sure is. The UK is the privatisation capital of the world, sure even Wembley is going to be sold off to an american

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

On 10/08/2018 at 11:43 PM, section swept said:

Brexit is very relevant, the EU has rules that we in UK abide by but you won’t see much of that in the Spanish cities, towns and villages that I have spent time in. When UK leaves the EU our government will be able to build more hospitals and increase the police force budgets I could drone on but ....oh and our roads might get repaired on a regular basis...councils would have money again.....it’ll still cost money to see a UK world round, that’s assuming we have the land to spare!

please come in here every year for the next ten and prove your rose tinted prediction is correct. Im hoping your joking?

On 11/08/2018 at 7:32 AM, Andy said:

Other countries get a lot of support from their national federations, local government, tourism offices etc.

The nature of many of the events abroad makes it impossible to charge people - can you imagine trying to police what could be a 10-15km loop making sure everyone had passes? (Some of them do charge for passes to take a bike round, but that's another story). All UK events - Hawkstone, Fort William, Nord Vue, Tong and now Addingham have been closed circuit, compact venues. Easy for spectators to move around, but also make charging for the privilege possible.

They don't have all the red tape/bureaucracy/health and safety bollocks hoops that have to be jumped through in the UK.

All that said, the World round at Tong last year was free to ACU Members and it was hardly bursting at the seams. In fact spectator numbers were surprisingly low given how much Trials folk like free stuff.

That is the reason.

I like andy have been to a few in the past and im struggling to think of a WTC that WASN'T supported by some local or regional authority.

The round in Fort William was there specifically because of the tourist board support?

• 2 weeks later...

TBH, IMHO, speaking personally, I'm happy enough to fork out for a weekend ticket to see Bou, Ragga, Dabill and the rest. I reckon they're probably worth it.

I've heard that some continental EU countries have slightly higher taxes than we have here - perhaps that has something to do with it...?

• Thanks 1

Really? I do not know why anyone would chance putting on a world round. The chance if not covering the costs are too high. Ad the gentleman complaining about the costs of a spectator is easy to get around. Work the event! In fact score it so you can be in the section. That is what I do.

Edited by lineaway