Any life left in this gas tank? rust repair question...

johnnyjazz

Salutations oh ye revered masters of mechanical knowledge and expertise!  johnny here in NY with (yet another) question.  im sorry if im asking too much, but my wife seems to be of no help and completely uninterested.

This tank just came up for sale and the guy only wants 100 bucks for it.  i was thinking of it as a spare but i am out of my depth in assessing the rust damage on the underside of the tank.  the seller says it has pin holes leaks and will need work but i think it looks in ok condition other than the outside rust?  if that rust went all the through then would it need to be welded and would this strip off the last of that nice paint? On my current original tank (in great condition) it was only rusted inside so i was able to clean it all out with rust away and then red cote it, but it has been suggested getting an older 'beat up' tank might be a wise move if i choose to ride the bike more aggressively.  

as always, i humbly beseech myself at the feet of you wise ones who all have way more experience with this than me!  if it looks like its more trouble than its worth that'd be good to know, but im thinking its pretty cheap so maybe not much to lose?  any thoughts gratefully received as i am a little nervous of the rust damage and it turning into a nightmare to fix as the seller said some of the holes have rusted through. :)

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

h.jpg

y.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz

7 hours ago, b40rt said:

Move the point one place to the left, IMO.

That might be a bit extreme, but I wouldn't pay $100 for it. I think that rust looks like it's coming through from the inside (there's probably water been lying in the bottom of the tank) so it will get worse and worse as you try to clean it up. Anything is repairable if you throw enough time and money at it, but ....

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, copemech said:

What you need is here!    

http://www.shedworks.net/petrol-tanks.html

Awesome! thank you. i had seen these but wasn't sure if they fit the 74A model.  good to know they do!  

that other tank may be more trouble/cost than its worth so i'll pass methinks and head to shedworks.  

As always guys, thanks so much for the help!... ?

You will most likely spend more money getting that tank sorted than it would cost to buy a good tank i.e. from Shedworks as suggested. However if you are looking to keep the bike original then yes all of the bottom needs to be replaced and I dare say the sides and top will need careful sheet metal work.....expensive! When you bear in mind that none of us commenting have actually seen your $100 tank we could be wrong about the interior condition, but I doubt it. Offer $50 and prepare for lots of work, the fuel tap is worth a few dollars.

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1

I just had a look on ebay and there are not many TY tanks for sale and the ones that are listed are stupid money for the bad condition they are in.I would either go the shedworks route or fit a Clarke plastic tank.I think the 73,74 Honda cr125 Clarke tank will fit the TY and does not look too bad.

• Like 2

Tidying up a tank on the outside is relatively easy, but its virtually impossible to get the inside in decent shape. With that tank you would be finding tiny particles of rust in your carb float bowl for the next 40 years

• Like 1