Age certificate for Montesa

I am trying to register a 1961 bike and it has been a nightmare so far.

I initially completed form V55/5 and sent it to DVLA with a letter from the relevant owners club confirming age.

This was rejected by DVLA the reason given being that I needed a NOVA certification.

I duly completed the NOVA form which was returned by NOVA confirming I didn't need a NOVA registration.

I returned the V55 and this confirmation letter from NOVA to DVLA but this was agan rejected on the basis I needed a NOVA registration. 

I reapplied to NOVA explaining the correspondence from DVLA and they registered the bike on their system and confirmed no VAT was due.

I then resent the V55 and this second letter from NOVA to DVLA.

This was again rejected and I was advised that I was required the have the vehicle inspected by SGS (another government agency).

This was done today and they advised that their report would be returned to the DVLA.

This should be sufficient to register the bike with a historic reg. number but I am not hopeful.

The Personal Transport Unit of HMRC deal with NOVA registration.  Their phone number is 0300 3227071.

DVLA are on 01792 384253 they arranged my inspection by SGS.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, stu109 said:

I am trying to register a 1961 bike and it has been a nightmare so far.

I initially completed form V55/5 and sent it to DVLA with a letter from the relevant owners club confirming age.

This was rejected by DVLA the reason given being that I needed a NOVA certification.

I duly completed the NOVA form which was returned by NOVA confirming I didn't need a NOVA registration.

I returned the V55 and this confirmation letter from NOVA to DVLA but this was agan rejected on the basis I needed a NOVA registration. 

I reapplied to NOVA explaining the correspondence from DVLA and they registered the bike on their system and confirmed no VAT was due.

I then resent the V55 and this second letter from NOVA to DVLA.

This was again rejected and I was advised that I was required the have the vehicle inspected by SGS (another government agency).

This was done today and they advised that their report would be returned to the DVLA.

This should be sufficient to register the bike with a historic reg. number but I am not hopeful.

The Personal Transport Unit of HMRC deal with NOVA registration.  Their phone number is 0300 3227071.

DVLA are on 01792 384253 they arranged my inspection by SGS.

Good luck.

Maybe you should put yourself forward as a Brexit advisor, you have probably got more negotiating skills than any Eurocrats due to the experience dealing with DVLA ( doubtful vehicle licensing authority) ?

My bikes have been checked by SGS just to make sure the VIN was clear and not been tampered with.  They also wanted to check the bike was in standard spec to make sure a age related plate was suitable for the bike. If the bike has been modifed it won't get a age related plate.  Every bike must have a NOVA number record on the sytem or the DVLA won't except it. Just about every post says on registering a bike says you need a NOVA number, This has been the case since April 2013. Simple as that, even if no duty was due..  The V5C arrived within a week.  

Edited by gasserguy

On 8/23/2018 at 8:04 PM, rob spence said:

Thanks all for the info... It looks like it may be a long haul... or perhaps not. Does anyone know a Montesa owners club for age confirmation letter/certificate? 

No owners club, That's why we advised above to use the VMCC who will cover this bike and supply a age certificate..   List here of DVLA approved clubs.  Nothing for Montesa..  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733199/v765x1-list-of-vehicle-owners-clubs.pdf

Edited by gasserguy