Spark arrester baffle?

Tillerman6

This part of the tail pipe accepts the end plug assembly you see in the last thread above.  It is also steel construction. It looks like there is a baffle inside there that is most likely welded in about half way down the length of the tube where the diameter starts to change. .?  The baffle has several "spokes" to it and makes it look like the center of an old mag wheel.   This is where I think the main part of the obstruction for the exhaust gasses was located. I have already poked down in there with a coat hanger and not much is coming out now  Sorry for the poor image quality, but it's hard to take pictures in a black hole!

5b7d998f985ef_TY250Tailpipe018.JPG.2320e9d252f05a3eccb5390e1cefa93a.JPG. I also soaked it with degreaser over night,  But I can see that it is still clogged up.  If there is any part that looks like it needs the flame treatment to clean it out it would be this one or the main expansion chamber itself. I took all the rubber parts off the outside and all the mounting hardware.

TY 250 Tailpipe 015.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 016.JPG

TY 250 Tailpipe 017.JPG

The thing that looks like a wagon wheel is the swirler part of the spark arrestor. It causes the exhaust gas to accelerate and spin. By making the exhaust gas spin as it moves rearwards, carbon particles (sparks) are caused to move outwards and become trapped on the outside of the inner tube, while the gas flows through the inner pipe. The wagon wheel looking thing is made from cast aluminium and will melt if it gets hot enough.

The second zone of the end muffler is the muffler and to quieten the exhaust, requires the mesh to be clean and to have dry muffler packing around the outside of the mesh.

18 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The thing that looks like a wagon wheel is the swirler part of the spark arrestor. It causes the exhaust gas to accelerate and spin. By making the exhaust gas spin as it moves rearwards, carbon particles (sparks) are caused to move outwards and become trapped on the outside of the inner tube, while the gas flows through the inner pipe. The wagon wheel looking thing is made from cast aluminium and will melt if it gets hot enough.

The second zone of the end muffler is the muffler and to quieten the exhaust, requires the mesh to be clean and to have dry muffler packing around the outside of the mesh.

I could see the degreaser liquid swirling as it exited the large end of the spark arrester pipe. Makes sense now.  The hard part is going to be the expansion chamber.  I should be able to find some sheet metal and make a patch for the hole I will be cutting in it.  Do you want to have a look at the pics I put on that expansion chamber thread and tell me which side you think I should cut open?

#1 side or #2 side or just have the part hot tanked?

If it was me I'd burn it out.

If you are dead-set keen to keep the packing intact, try the hot tub first.

Your locations 1 and 2 would allow you to fix only the areas where the holes are cut. The chamber has to be cut in half and remove the perforated mesh to do the job properly