Trials bike wanted.

Glyns427

Hi. It’s been 35 years since I’ve been on a trials bike, but a friend and I recently went to Inch Perfect. That, combined with Ross Nobles SSDT, the interest is back. My buddy has given me a budget of £2k to get him a bike (his pockets are deeper than mine). He wants a 2stroke, as new as possible and preferably road legal.  

What should I be looking for?

lm leaning towards a Beta. But my knowledge is limited as the that bike I had was a Ty250

thanks Glyn

That's a difficult question, for which there are as many answers as there are trials forumites. There are a couple of other threads running at the moment that show the problems of advice and opinion. The £2k excludes the newer makes like Vertigo and TRS, so that leaves you with Beta, Gas Gas, Sherco and Scorpa (assuming you're not considering a twinshock). For sure there is nothing much wrong with a Beta. They've had a long slow evolution, they have a good and enthusiastic importer, and I believe parts are readily available.They are unusual in having the kickstart on the left, which seems to bother some people.

18 hours ago, Glyns427 said:

Hi. It’s been 35 years since I’ve been on a trials bike, but a friend and I recently went to Inch Perfect. That, combined with Ross Nobles SSDT, the interest is back. My buddy has given me a budget of £2k to get him a bike (his pockets are deeper than mine). He wants a 2stroke, as new as possible and preferably road legal.  

What should I be looking for?

lm leaning towards a Beta. But my knowledge is limited as the that bike I had was a Ty250

thanks Glyn

2k will buy you a bike around the 2008/2010 model year; but unless you're lucky and find something that has not been used or has been sorted by the previous owner  then you may need to spend up to £500 or so on it to get it up to standard and that's with you doing the work.

You need to get clued up on what to look for when buying a second hand trials bike then get on Ebuy and trawl through until you find something .....expect to travel miles to get a good bike or pay more at a  localish dealer if you do not do effort.

Bikes seem to be selling at a reasonable price now the Brexit feeling is really 'coming home' ...lucky you its a good time to buy, leave it a while longer and you may get one given to you.

Edited by oni nou