Older newbie, first trials bike

ahh_me2

22 hours ago, oni nou said:

You better tell the manufacturers of WD-40 as they state on their tins that It lubricates metal ........I find that it does a fairly good job of lubricating door hinges in my house.....but of course its not for use in gearboxes.

From Wikipedia on WD-40........"The long term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil [petroleum based around 25% ?] which remains on the surface to which it is applied; giving lubrication and protection from moisture. This oil is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to make a low viscosity fluid which can be aerosolized to penetrate crevices,the volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates leaving behind the oil."

2009 independent analysis  test of WD-40 showed the principal components of WD-40 to be C9-C14 alkanes[paraffins] and mineral oil.

.........................lol.

Edited by oni nou

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:51 AM, Junglejeff said:

My 1st post here but wd40 is not a lubricant and never was.We use it for cleaning and it is great for water and gunk removel but sucks as a lube.It is basically kerosene with bad lube properties.Chain wax works well on these bikes after a good cleaning.

4 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Well. there you are Mr ahh_me2. I bet you never thought your first post on the forum would provoke a discussion on the physical properties and chemical composition of WD40.

I guess you're right!  lol

Oh well, there's always something new to learn...

On 9/14/2018 at 4:53 AM, oni nou said:

You better tell the manufacturers of WD-40 as they state on their tins that It lubricates metal ........I find that it does a fairly good job of lubricating door hinges in my house.....but of course its not for use in gearboxes.

Have tried it on weapons,machine equipment,etc in past.It is great for cleaning but does not leave much oil behind.Everything we used it on ends up rusting pretty quick.I use it to clean chains before I lube them.As noted here wd makes a actual chain lube which most likly is a different formula than classic wd40 for that reason.Just relating my experience with the product.