Oil seal

jsp

It's a standard oil seal, and you can replace it, but it'll just leak again almost immediately. All the early ones did. They made a change to later models to alleviate pressure building in the cases, which is believed to be what causes the leak, but I don't know if it worked or not. 

Mines never done it before, but I have had an issue with oil coming out of the breather pipe in to the airbox, I’ve now got two breathers fitted one on the kick start side where it should be and one on the sprocket side where they where on the earlier bikes and that’s stopped it coming out the breather 

It’s poorly designed there appears to be very little of the gear selector shaft (smooth sealing area) protruding for the seal lip to slide against. Can the seal go into the recess further, does the shaft have too much float (in and out play). An alternative would be a sleeve resin bonded to the shaft to allow the seal to work on or a shaft with a longer seal land area. I would even consider working the seal housing so that the seal can actually fit further in by a couple of mm. Not had one of these so I could talking nonsense, however from each idea comes another. It does look as though there is insufficient smooth surface for the seal to work on in my opinion.

Edited by section swept

Judging by your photo, I would say that that oil seal is the wrong size. The seal has too large of I.D hole for the shaft size, should not have that large of a gap..the outer dust lip of the seal should even be in contact with the shift shaft. Try source a slightly smaller I.D seal, will fix your leak:thumbup:

• Thanks 1