Cracked clutch cover on 2014 Racing

smarty156

So after driving an hour to a trial today, first kick and the clutch cover cracked around the kickstart shaft!

Bike is a 2014 300 Racing. I'll be ordering a new cover, sight glass and water pump seal. Is there anything else I need to replace and what's the process re replacement (especially with respect to clutch and minimising air in the system)?

Also, is it likely just fatigue or should I be looking for another cause?

Thanks all.

Edited by smarty156

This was a typical problem on the `04`s. Usually not on the newer models. You need to check the shaft, idler gear and  the bearing on the other end of the shaft. Saw my friend do it right at the starting minute of a National. Luckily the Gas Gas importer was in line behind him. Forty minutes later he was back in the event.

1 hour ago, huski said:

It might have broken a tooth off the kickstart gear when you kicked it over ,which then got jammed and forced the shafts apart,The weakest point (the casing) broke.The kickstart gear is known for failing especially on a 300

OK. I'll check. However, when I first saw the oil dripping out it looked like it was coming from the bottom of the casing so I initially assumed the bolts had worked slightly loose. So, I gave them a little tighten and started the bike again. It started no problem so I'm not sure there is an issue with the kickstart gear.

The kickstart shaft does wobble around with the casing off but that's normal isn't it? How much play should there be?

Also, is it an easy job to get the shaft etc off or will I need any special tools/send it to a workshop? Feels like it will just pull out but I didn't want to lose anything in the grass so I didn't.

now it's in the garage I'll take a closer look.

Thanks all.

Kickstart gear still works with the first tooth missing,kickstart has to rotate further before it engages.Sometimes the tooth falls to the bottom of the casing,more often it gets caught up generally between the clutch gear and the crank gear,which makes a hell of a noise.

The kickstart shaft does pull out,and without the casing to support it does wobble about.Can you post a pic of your kickstart gear?

On 9/10/2018 at 6:13 PM, huski said:

Kickstart gear still works with the first tooth missing,kickstart has to rotate further before it engages.Sometimes the tooth falls to the bottom of the casing,more often it gets caught up generally between the clutch gear and the crank gear,which makes a hell of a noise.

The kickstart shaft does pull out,and without the casing to support it does wobble about.Can you post a pic of your kickstart gear?

Will post a pic as soon as I get a chance to pull it apart.

So the kickstart shaft just pulls out complete? Do I need to remove the idler gear first and if so how does this come off? I'm sure some of this will become obvious when I take it apart but I'd rather know in advance.

On 9/10/2018 at 6:04 PM, richt said:

No harm in gettin a spare sightglass for the sake of £3 or £4. One of my days finished early when something smashed the glass.?

My thoughts exactly. If I'm getting a new clutch cover I may as well get a new glass.

On 9/9/2018 at 6:38 PM, lineaway said:

By the way, you really do not need the water pump seal. Just cover gasket and kick start seal. Maybe the two o rings on the clutch piston.

Thought I may as well while I'm swapping the cover for a new one, along with sight glass and kickstart seal.

What do I need to do re the clutch swap over? What's the best way of avoiding air in the hose and the best way to bleed after?

Thanks again all.

Here's a pic I took as I had half an hour to take a quick look.

As you can see, damaged teeth on the idler gear.

In the other photo, I think I can just about see a bit of damage on the first tooth of the kickstart gear too.

So it's going to be a very expensive repair.

20180913_163902.jpg

20180913_162753.jpg

I took a quick video of the play on the kickstart shaft as well but i can't seem to upload it. Says i can only upload 19.87mb even though the video is only 14mb.

Given everything else I'm having to replace, am I as well to replace the kickstart shaft holder bearing? Is it easy to do?