How to transport on Range Rover Sport

Rich-B

7 minutes ago, Rich-B said:

Can’t see how I’m going to fit a Dave cooper rack on my Range Rover sport, 

they only have a tow ball not a Flat back plate to bolt on to?

cheers Rich

I am having the same problem with my McLaren MP4-12c ....you would think when you pay the kind of money we have for our cars that a Dave Cooper rack would be fitted as standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, oni nou said:

I am having the same problem with my McLaren MP4-12c ....you would think when you pay the kind of money we have for our cars that a Dave Cooper rack would be fitted as standard.

Haha thanks, I still need to transport my bike now Iv sold my VW LWB!

I guess there is a device that clamps to the ball and stem for the bike rack to be fitted to?

7 minutes ago, Rich-B said:

I guess there is a device that clamps to the ball and stem for the bike rack to be fitted to?

Nice to find someone that is not taking  things too seriously.......your right you can get a clamp to fit on your swan neck type of tow hitch but I cannot remember the manufacturer...........someone on here posted pictures of one about a month ago .....do a search in the trials transport section of the forums. 

• Thanks 1

I have had the same problem with three BMWs with factory fitted tow bars, the best solution was to modify the mounting plate so that a thick walled tube fitted over the ball and then made a threaded fixing which screwed into the rear towing eye socket, the front wheel loop was them modified to also bolt onto the aforesaid threaded fixing.

If you want I can fit the rack tomorrow and take photographs.

The other advantage is if I get stopped I am not limited by the tow bar weight limit as some of the weight is taken via the towing eye socket

PS I worked on the MP4-12c starting in 2008 and two things I can tell you, there is no tow bar listed as an optional extra and I cannot remember why it had such a stupid model name

/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich-B said:

You can buy a 'proper' flat plate towbar from Land Rover. This will be the most secure option. You then get yourself a 4x4 rack from Dave Cooper and you're sorted.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rich-B said:

Thanks everyone for your replies, Iv looked into both the Bak Rak and Land Rover Flat plate options to then attach a Dave cooper rack ????

Keeping up appearances.

Range Rover Sport poser, riding Gas Gas?  Perhaps a classy Vertigo Combat Titanium would be more in keeping with the image.

vertigo-combat-titanium-r.jpg

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rich-B said:

Can’t see how I’m going to fit a Dave cooper rack on my Range Rover sport, 

they only have a tow ball not a Flat back plate to bolt on to?

cheers Rich

It’s easy, just leave the tailgate down and lash the bike to the hinges. You could of course add extra safety by utilising that ball on a stick as an extra lashing point. If you had Bull bars fitted you could easily tie the bike to that, at least you’ll be able keep an eye on the bike in transit as it’ll arrive before you wherever you go?

14 hours ago, oni nou said:

Ah so, now all we’ve got do is watch out for the McLaren with a Trials bike lashed to it and hey presto your identity is exposed??

You might as well get a trailer, at least you’ll be using the tow ball for the purpose it was intended! As other have suggested you might be minted you could buy a three bike trailer and either offer to give others a lift with their bikes so they can then return their supercars back to original. I ask you where’s the street cred driving a Lambo or McLaren fitted with a tow bar, what ever next holidays in Lowestoft or some exotic East Coast Resort. I can hear the rattle of the doughnut sellers cart even now, such luxury!??????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, section swept said:

Ah so, now all we’ve got do is watch out for the McLaren with a Trials bike lashed to it and hey presto your identity is exposed??

The nearest to a McLaren I will get is a McMuffin .......if you see a trials bike with one of those lashed to it then you know it is me.

To go back to the original request for help I thought some might still find this interesting.

I have tried to attach some photographs of one of the racks I modified to go on a factory fitted swan neck type tow bar and uses the rear towing eye fixing to stop the rack moving. These racks have worked on four different BMWS, 3 series and 4 series. The relative position of the tow ball and towing fixing does seem to change model to model so they have been modified a few times in the last 15 years.

The towing eye fixing is a strange thread, eventually I identified it as an ACME thread, and again this has changed model to model.

I do remember in the late 1970s there was one trials rider with a 911 with a tow bar.

IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.08ea5ed043b9cf3cadeca28cf0d560c6.JPGIMG_0097.thumb.JPG.7acf5323576e7a7958ae6bd8f9d7486d.JPGIMG_0101.thumb.JPG.fe0a66b728794dc70732ef3d16e99aad.JPG

• Like 3

On 10/09/2018 at 8:25 AM, stpauls said:

Keeping up appearances.

Range Rover Sport poser, riding Gas Gas?  Perhaps a classy Vertigo Combat Titanium would be more in keeping with the image.

vertigo-combat-titanium-r.jpg

Haha the Range Rover sport cost less than Iv sold my VW Transporter for and I definitely can’t afford a vertigo bike ??