Hi question what is the best way to remove paint from metal tank

Old man

Hi is it the heat gun (no cap on) or paint stripper as been told its not as strong as it was in my youth.Tried sanding as was going to leave paint as a primer but still rough with lots of paint pit holes in.There is 3 inch hairline crack runing along bottom length ways which need to be fixed.Heard that a putty resin has been invented to repair metal instead of welding so will look into that soon .Thanks 

Thanks for reply.The old stripper use to burn if got any on skin and shop assistant told me not as strong now.So was thinking off buying heat gun as got 2 frames which need doing.The blue paint is thick with lots off chips down to metal.And thought i could just burn it off and save money not buying tins of stripper 

Coarse emery paper, youre going to have to rub it down after the paint stripping anyway, may as well save the time wasted with a heat gun. A sander and the appropriate paper and you should have a tank clean of paint in 10 minutes

If its the underside of the tank, then refer back to paint stripper :lol:

Unless you are on a very tight budget, id save yourself the headache and get the frames shot blasted. 2 frames would probably cost you around 100 quid

Edited by faussy

Old Man,

You have stated that you will be looking at a putty resin to repair a fuel tank. Modern fuels contain a percentage of ethanol and this is going to increase. Ethanol attacks a lot of resins, rubbers etc. If you go down this route make sure the resin used is OK to use with ethanol.

For my penny worth, I would not even try it.

Stuart

You may be referring to plastic metal or chemical metal, these are a temporary repair and intended to be a permanent fix for a fuel tank. By the time you have removed a good proportion of the paint you will more than likely have a few more perforations to worry about. You say that this is just a couple of hundred pound bike, I think you’ll find that many people would love to be able to buy a Bultaco for a few hundred quid! What model exactly have got? It doesn’t matter really, they are all worth saving from binging ruined as field bikes etc. Even if you have limited funds restoring to trials riding/competition condition would be very worthwhile. It doesn’t matter what mskevor model of trials bike that you own, it will get scratched and properly so in rock strewn events. Painting over some of the chips and dings is relatively acceptable in most people’s eyes, being looked upon more as the ‘patina’ of use. Works bikes never had special paint finishes as they were work horses and just got cleaned up after an event. Keep you £200 Bultaco clean and well maintained, don’t bother about shiny finishes to the engine or wheels, just attend to that tank and prepare it as best you can, apply some correct colour for the model type and  don’t worry about orange peel, “they’re all like that sir!”. Ride and enjoy. By the way there is a kit sold in the auto  market place called Petseal and there must be others available that you might consider. After you wasted a few quid on buggering about trying to seal the split, some welders are quite prepared to weld a steel fuel tank, and if they have the skill, knowledge and equipment will weld aluminium fuel tanks. It’s a matter of getting rid of any residue fuel and vapour, sticking the tank filler over a running cars exhaust and filling the tank with exhaudt fumes fo a few minutes can work but you need to know what you are doing. Steaming the inside can also work, welding with 20 foot extension poles gives a modicum of protection if it all goes pear shaped...I jest. Please don’t do any welding on the fuel tank without seeking the right person for the job. A new alloy tank will cost over £300 and a plastic tank for later Bultaco’s will be anything from £ 100 upwards depending on where you buy. Have a look at Shedworks, InMotion (Bultaco UK) or just type in alloy petrol tank, e-bay or other auction websites may have a good used one but you’ll pay through the nose prices. Hope this little lot is useful to you, whatever you do, forget that your bike only cost you a little under the cost of a replacement fuel tank and look after it.??

Thankyou sir for your knowledge will ask one of my lads to put some pictures up off bikes.I was going to ask my local garage if he could take a look if he can not. Have a few plastic tanks to fall back on.The fiberglass is for the 199a  just finished last coat on frame. 

11 hours ago, Old man said:

Thanks for reply.The old stripper use to burn if got any on skin and shop assistant told me not as strong now.So was thinking off buying heat gun as got 2 frames which need doing.The blue paint is thick with lots off chips down to metal.And thought i could just burn it off and save money not buying tins of stripper 

Modern stripper also burns if even the tiniest dot sits on your skin. They changed the makeup of stripper to make it harder for people to use it for malicious purposes. The main difference is that it is now a gel instead of being a liquid.

• Like 1

Hi sir thanks for info decided to go with the hardest sandpaper for frames.The tank will ask garage today if can not will use plastic ones i have.Only doing this as my very youngest wants a bike for road.Never ridden in his life.Believe he would be a danger to himself and others.So he must learn like i did and Bultaco are the best bikes to no other in my opinion.

• Like 1

Hi Sir for info Took a engine casing into car shop to see if could remove black heat paint off.He opened a few tins of different stripper not one worked.When back home looked up found this website and read comments.Learned a lot that over the year and half and finally decided to join but still learning as forgot a lot over time.Some comes back have so many questions but would not like to hog web page