cornishflyer

Sherpa fork caps

HI guys,

Quick question. I have a fork cap that's shooting oil everywhere whenever the fork is compressed. Do these look like normal caps? It looks like there is a screw in the middle that has been shaved. I can't really see how these are serviced, can they be and do they look standard?

Cheers

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 1.08.24 pm.jpg

Edited by cornishflyer
Forgot some details

The 0 in the top of them is just a stamp. Most of that style of cap have them. You have to remove the fork caps to service them. Inside you will find an 8 mm nut holding a washer and a spring. Pull all of it off and clean everything. Poke a bit of wire into the hole where the oil is coming from and try and make sure it is clean. Sometimes they stop squirting and sometimes they don`t stop squirting. One thing you can do is just spin the fork legs so the squirt misses your eyes and the bike when the caps are screwed up tight. Don`t forget to loosen the top clamp bolts to get the caps off. They are standard. Graham. 

Edited by bullylover
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never stopped these things spewing oil other than by blocking the hole. Some will say that causes pressurisation in the fork as air can't escape but I've never had any issues doing this.  In the bottom of the fork spring there is a deflector which is presumably to stop oil being sprayed out of the top of the damper rod like a water cannon, these are often missing after numerous rebuilds over the years. Whether they help stop oil being forced up the tube and out of the caps I don't know - possibly...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sealing off the vents allows for easy fork spring rate tuning by changing oil height if you are into that sort of thing.

The KT250 came with vented caps too and the oil deflection technology in them is quite clever but I still replaced them with sealed caps so I could tune the fork spring rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cornishflyer said:

Thanks to all of the replies. I ended up sealing the cap off, the fork feels much better now as well, more progressive even.

How did you seal the caps?

On 9/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, feetupfun said:

Sealing off the vents allows for easy fork spring rate tuning by changing oil height if you are into that sort of thing.

The KT250 came with vented caps too and the oil deflection technology in them is quite clever but I still replaced them with sealed caps so I could tune the fork spring rate.

Have you ever experienced pressure build up beyond what you wanted, or do you have manual vents on your caps? I see Bultaco UK sells a pair with Schraeder valves.

8 hours ago, motovita said:

Have you ever experienced pressure build up beyond what you wanted, or do you have manual vents on your caps? I see Bultaco UK sells a pair with Schraeder valves.

No problems with pressure build-up and no vent valves fitted. The oil height is set to give the air spring effect I want when forks have reached normal operating temperature