4rt Price?

james111089

You think there worth that much secondhand?

It depends what you are comparing it with (2 strokes), your own budget, and how much you want one.

It is 950 pounds less than list price for a new one, and if you look in t&mx news, that seems to be what dealers and private sales are asking for them.

As to the condition of them, well not having seen them, i've no idea.

As with any secondhand bike, Shop around and get the best one you see. Beware new plastics etc. (May be trying to cover up a hard previous life). Generally, engine cases, fork legs , and bash plates will show signs of wear and tear, as will frame/ engine pant markings from the SSDT.

Try one before you buy one!. And good luck

Most folks will know that I've ridden a 4RT since February this year. I can tell you that it has done a LOT of trials, and it's riding better than ever. I buy my own bike, no sponsor, no support, so this is the truth. Discounting normal wear and tear items (tyres, chains, sprockets, oil filters, engine and transmission oil, rear pads - still on original front pads - )my only purchases have been a pair of 'bars, two levers and a left generator cover damaged when I crashed and knocked off an oilway.

It is a great bike, but then so was the 315. It's brilliant on rocks but still catches me out on the odd slippery bank. As long as I think about how I'm riding it, it's fine, but just give it a handful and try and spin up a slick bank, and you may not make it.

Somebody asked me the other day, would I buy a two stroke, and I have to say - at the moment, no. 4RT owners will tell you now, that once you've ridden and owned a fuel injected bike, you won't ever want to go back to a carburettor. Ask yourself, would you want to go back to a carburated car with a choke? Of course not.

I ride every Sunday, without fail, and all around me I see two-strokes suffering ignition problems, gear selection problems, bearing problems, access to carburettor problems, mudguards held on with duct tape etc. etc. No names of course, but you know to what I'm referring. But my Montesa wants for nothing. Ok the mudguards look tatty, but they are still in one piece and everything else is as solid now as it was the day I bought it.

Is this bull****, you have every right to think so, but it's the truth. Speak to me, question me, test my enthusiasm at a trial, all that I can confirm is that my next bike will be another 4RT. Is it the trials bike that's likely to be the most successful? Possibly not, but I can tell you categorically that my results have improved these past 10 months.

Getting back to second hand price, it's worth what somebody would pay for it, but I can tell you now, that I consider mine to be worth about

Hillary:

I will be the first to second that!

I was just going over my 4rt this past weekend.

Let's see I changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, replaced a slightly bent bar that I have been too lazy to change for about 4 months. Cleaned it up. Thats all.

I too experienced major problems with other brands in the past. But not with my 98,02,05 Montesa's. History should knock me in the head and learn my lesson.

That's reason enough to buy another one. But wait I don't feel the need, cause this one running great. I'll wait till 07. Hopefully they will put that wet/dry switch on the handlebar like Fuji runs. HINT HINT.

Although I really don't need it.

Purchased last Dec. ridden almost everyweek end (85% anyway) Years tally: one set of bars, replaced two front fenders, two skid plate screws, couple sets of grips, 2 rear, 1 frt tires, one spark plug. Parts guys are not getting rich on Montesa parts.

no levers, no brake pedals, no shifter, no jets,no splitting cases, etc.

As I watch my buddies fiddle around with jetting on their old fashion carbs, I smile :rolleyes: when my 4rt starts first kick every time.

Can't understand what AtomAnt is on about, his 4RT having no fuel injection. Is he called AtomAnt because he keeps blowing things up! Haven't heard a whisper about any fuel injection problems with the bikes/riders I know about.

Can't understand what AtomAnt is on about, his 4RT having no fuel injection. Is he called AtomAnt because he keeps blowing things up! Haven't heard a whisper about any fuel injection problems with the bikes/riders I know about

Hilary, I think it might be a Sherco that AtomAnt is talking about.

Had my 4rt since August. I ride most weekends and practice when i can. To date i've put Hebo footrests on and bought a spare air filter changed oil and filter and gaskets and o rings, standard service items. My results have improved beyond my wildest dreams and i still smile every time i ride it. Have to agree on slippery banks once you forget its a 4 stroke your doomed but if you get your weight right back and be smooth with the throttle it'll find grip anywhere.

I wouldn't have anything else first bike i've owned that has all the steel bolts going into aluninium housings greased before i got it home. Gas Gas should do that to their front caliper mounting bolts. I'm off to buy a new rear tyre :rolleyes: