Montesa Cota 349 gear box

George Cardale

Hi - my cota 349 is being re built but I have a problem with the gear box self selecting in neutral whilst running and also missing gears.

The question is, where should the wheel sit on the star shaped nut to get neutral as per the image?

Any help much appreciated, as I am very keen to get this bike running again.

Thanks

IMG_9259.JPG

From memory, as it's a while since I did one, the toothed cam on the selector has a notch scribed into it which should line up with a dot on the gear behind the 'starfish' wheel, which puts the gearbox in neutral. The notch on the cam is towards the uppermost end

Is the 'starfish' the wrong way around, I thought it had a recess on its outward face around the shaft and also may have a dot on it to line up with the notch on the cam when in neutral. I think the long finger top left whose tip is hidden should face rearwards, not forwards.  This is all from memory but worth a check which will only take a couple of minutes from where you are now

• Thanks 1

That follower and spring is a later modification, the 348 I don't believe has that. there arent enough bumps in that starfish for 5 gears and nuetral. The gear adjustment is achieved by adjustment of the eccentric cam hidden under the M6 nut shown in your photo. as I understand it that adjusts the neutral position. adjustment of that has been covered in this forum somewhere sorry I cant find it for you at the moment but this is a common question with these gearboxes. been a while since i did mine. and to be honest I never managed to get all fivve gears to work yet.

there is  a picture here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONTESA-COTA-348-GEAR-PARTS-MONTESA-COTA-349-MONTESA-ENDURO-NEW-GEAR-PARTS-/380552281339

image.jpg

Edited by bigshineybike
more info found
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2018 at 10:47 AM, bigshineybike said:

That follower and spring is a later modification, the 348 I don't believe has that. there arent enough bumps in that starfish for 5 gears and nuetral.

I think Neutral is on a little divet on the "flat" point of the star, and can get worn.  My 349 had issues with dropping from neutral into gear when the engine wasn't running, and that was caused by having the wrong tension on the spring

• 3 months later...