Trials Bike Maintenance

miner

A query from a relative newcomer who’s only owned a Gas Gas... are all trials bikes a PITA to work on, or is it just the Gassers?

Assuming it could be all as they’re so tightly packaged but there’s a lot of things on that bike coming from years of owning Hondas and KTMs that I find downright odd and frustrating... sure they use them for trade testing Spanish bike apprentices. :D

Edited by miner
Brain fade

27 minutes ago, miner said:

A query from a relative newcomer who’s only owned a Gas Gas... are all trials bikes a PITA to work on, or is it just the Gassers?

Assuming it could be all as they’re so tightly packaged but there’s a lot of things on that bike coming from years of owning Hondas and KTMs that I find downright odd and frustrating... sure they use them for trade testing Spanish bike apprentices. :D

A gasgas is one of the easiest!!!! At least you can remove its tank

Edited by faussy
  • Confused 1

You better have a friend or buy a second bike. (Best way to diagnose a complicated machine is spare parts) The 4RT is the best FI trials machine. Go drop it in 4 feet of water and then tell us how great it is. Or just check out the Montesa section for a good dose of reality. Honestly it is a great bike, but until 2 strokes no longer exist not for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Scorpa SY250 was the hardest one I have ever worked on. Everything has to be exactly where it needs to be or nothing will fit. Throttle cable can't be above the frame between the tank. Carb takes a week to gain access to, If you remove certain things you break others if not paying attention. Again they run and run and run but only if you have a good shoe horn. Also changing a one off spark plug on a Fantic Kroo makes me wonder if they just forgot that spark plugs were needed when laying it out. 

--Biff

• Like 1
  • Haha 2