Removal of 247 swing arm bushes

Glen

Hi all,

removed the swing arm from my 247 after having to cut the spindle bolt. I’ve soaked it in wd40 now for 3 weeks and can’t get the bushes or bolt out.

any advice? Tried a big hammer and drift, didn’t move.

should I use an oxy to heat the swing arm and then try the big hammer again.

thanks

I don't think the heat is going to damage anything there, I am not sure if the bushes are steel or bronze, either way a bit of heat shouldn't hurt. Heat and a big hammer should get the spindle to move. There would likely be a seal there either side, best to remove these before heating, unless you already have. Good luck, Peter B.

I had a similar issue with a fantic 80.  I had to use a hydraulic press to press the axle out.  It took a surprising amount of force but did not damage anything.  They are called shop presses here but seem like one of those things that may have another name elsewhere.  Something like this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-h-frame-industrial-heavy-duty-floor-shop-press-60603.html  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2018 at 7:19 PM, Glen said:

Hi all,

removed the swing arm from my 247 after having to cut the spindle bolt. I’ve soaked it in wd40 now for 3 weeks and can’t get the bushes or bolt out.

any advice? Tried a big hammer and drift, didn’t move.

should I use an oxy to heat the swing arm and then try the big hammer again.

thanks

Glen, the bushes on my Ulf Karlsson 247 are a rubber in steel torque type. The bolt is a firm fit in there and when tightened up the rubber acts as a type of shock-absorber, although it does limit the movement of the swingarm. Heating with a torch will burn the rubber, so unless you want to replace the bushes with a different type, go carefully. I believe Inmotion sells a conversion kit, otherwise you might try drilling the bolt out. If your 247 doesn't have the rubber type, then possibly drill one end of the bolt to get a good starting point and press them out.

• 1 month later...

Hydraulic press. I invested in a 10T jobbie whilst rebuilding a Land Rover and thought I'd be glad to see it gone shortly after moving-on the Landy... not so, it's saved my bacon on several occasions since and will doubtless do so in future.

Equally as efficient at installing bearings/bushes/whatever as it is removing them - ranks amongst the best £100 I've spent.

Just be gentle.

• 1 year later...

I have 1972 247 Cota trials bike. The swing arm appears to have 10mm stud screwed into the swing arm. Do I need to cut them to get them out. I tried the double nut routine on them but they do not move. I tried heating up the swing arm it self and  could smell the rubber burning. Is there another way to get them out of there?????