Bultaco parts

Ciaran

Hi lads ,im very new to this so i would love some help as iv just got a bultaco sherpa 350 1972 that im going to try and restore ,whers is the best place to buy parts new and second hand parts.im in Ireland so UK or Ireland would be fine , thanks for your help in advance

Edited by Ciaran

Hi Ciaran, Ebay.com the world wide one has over 11,000 entries at present. However, Bultaco U.K. In Motion usually has most of what I have needed over the years. Your next move is to source a couple of workshop manuals, often advertised secondhand. One is by Clymer Publications, the other by Haynes. Neither is perfect, but using both should steer you in the right direction for any issues you may have. If you put in a question here, always give a frame plus engine number, maybe also a picture or two of your problem as it helps a lot. There is loads of good help on this site, just ask ! Bultacos are great bikes. Properly looked after they will give you hours of fun. Enjoy.

Hi Ciaran, welcome to the wonderfully idiosyncratic world of Bultaco's. Why not post up a few photos of your bike, along with the Engine and Frame numbers.

There is a fabulous depth of knowledge here on this forum and a very friendly atomsphere, never feel that your question is daft or silly, just post it up. I have 2 Sherpa's which I hope to complete some day, one is well on the way, the other is still let us say "waiting to get to the start line".

Unfortunatley you won't find any Irish spare part sources as the Importer closed down many years ago. However I can personally vouch for the expertise at InMotion when it comes to Bultaco spare parts, they are very professional and getting bit 'n pieces over to Ireland is no trouble and post/carraige is very reasonable.  

Have fun rebuilding your Bultaco and if you want to give me a PM anytime, don't hesitate.

Edited by model80
  • Like 1

i seem to have ENG No JM18301632 and frame no JB19910720 as I haven’t checked it myself only going on the numbers that the previous owner put on the workshop manual , does the engine number make any sense to you . Regards Ciaran

Yout engine number is JM18301632  so the engine is a 183 from 1976/77,  the frame is a 199 only as it doesn't have the A at the end of the number. The 199 and 199A have different frames.   It definitely isn't a 1972 bike or engine, the engine and frame number on those begins with a 92

You can check model numbers here  http://cemoto.tripod.com/bultaco.htm

• Like 3

The engine is basically the same as the 199, however the gearbox has different internal ratios to the 199. You will have to run 11/46 sprockets as opposed to 11/39[standard 199A] or 13/46 [standard 199]. If you put a 39 tooth rear sprocket on the bike, first gear would be like taking off in second gear, not so good for trials riding. The ratios were changed from 199 on to give a higher fifth gear for road use. All other ratios are effectively the same with the correct sprockets.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

The change to a 39 rear was a strange choice on the A and B models as it makes the gearing quite high compared to earlier bikes. The internal ratios never changed on the 5 speed models, which used 11/46 final drive, until the 199 when 1st to 4th were lowered with the change to 13 teeth on the front. With the A they changed the ratios back to the earlier models, or, depending on what you read or who you believe, changed 2nd to 4th back up to the ratios used on all earlier models, but left 1st as the lower 199 ratio, Whichever, with standard gearing on the A it is running 7 teeth less than earlier models which is a lot although the final drive ratio of 11/39 is the same as the 13/46 of the 199

I haven't ridden a 199 or an A for a very long time so can't remember the feel of the gearing but on my B I run around 43 on the back as 11/39 makes the gearing too high and 1st on the B is the same ratio as the 199. On my 49 and 92 bikes 11/46 makes 1st a bit higher than ideal for tighter going

• Like 1

I haven’t ridden this one yet as I got it not running so won’t know for a while what it’s like, I have no history on the bike so don’t really how it was put together, previous owner done a reasonably big job on the engine big ends and so on did a few miles on it and left it in a shed for about 8 years so who knows what’s ahead of me