An Example Of The Problem With Trials In The Us

wayne thais

To ride a trial in the USA you will drive between 2 to 4 hours each way for a close one. There will be somewhere between 25 to 60 riders competing in 5 or more classes. Each class having differnt gates for their route in the sections.
"In my opinion, it is folly to assume that we should atrtact as many youngsters as we can to trials, because, taking my local scene into account:

- we already have 100 plus riders per trial. Queues at sections are long enough!

I guess the above show how different things are as you move from region to region in the US.

To put it into context, I ride in the NE Centre of the UK and I live very centrally in that area. The NE ACU has 21 affiliated clubs of which 11 organise trials. I have just received the March 2006 - March 2007 Club/date chart. In that 1 year period there will be 75 trials all 'closed to region' ie you have to be a member of one club in the centre to ride any or all of them and they will take in (my estimate) 35-40 different venues. I can get to any of these venues in 1 hour and would expect a minimum of 60 competitors at each event with an average around the 90 mark. All of those trials will have 2 courses, many will have 3 (basically one route but with easy and hard variations flagged through it).

We are very lucky - the NE ACU manages the events so that there are never 2 trials on at the same time in the region. I understand that if I drive South for a couple of hours into the North Yorks Centre, the sport is so popular that the ACU there has to issue several permits for the same day with the result that trials become 'closed to club'- you have to be a member of many clubs to ride every week, not a hardship but multiple trials in one area makes it hard to get observers.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne, where was that quote taken from? (the 100 riders per event) I remember reading it initially, and questioning the validity of the statements made, and thinking it was another one of those things someone threw in to stir the pot. I meant to question it where I originally saw it and now cannot find it.

Anyway, I would be interested to know which club in the US has such high attendance.

I just bought my first ever trials bike, and I believe that the amount of competitive events is not at all the answer to the problem with trials in the US. I could care little whether there are any events or not. The real problem is the bikes themselves. Trials bikes need bigger tanks, a seat, a real airbox, and the appropriate marketing to be appealing to the general motorcycling public. Trials bikes are not practical, and are really nothing more than a machine to do tricks/stunts on, like a skateboard.

The overwhelming majority of motorcyclists do not compete. They ride because they can go places, and it is fun, or they feel cool. This holds true for most all sports. Most amatuer sports practioners, the ones who make those companies all their money (so they can pay those pompous, ginormous salaries to their professional athletes), do not compete in organized events. I see some observations given about MX/SX and its popularity, but I see most of those bikes being used off-road, rather than on a MX track. Enduro type bikes are popular, but how many people can actually spectate? Off-road racing is not at all spectator friendly, but yet many people ride those bikes. Why? Because they have a seat and a decent size tank to ride and explore the millions of acres of national forests and BLM land we have in this country. I believe a trials type bike has the basics for the best trail bike, but needs some modifications to be attractive to the general purchasing public. Unless that is done, I believe that trials will always be at best, a very niche sport in America.

Trials bikes are not practical, and are really nothing more than a machine to do tricks/stunts on, like a skateboard.

Brendan,

If you get a chance to come to our March event in Lucerne I'll introduce you to the original "Adventure Ride" A wonderful 2-4 hour ride, depending on skill level, through the narliest, rockiest, tightest trail that you've ever seen.

Also, a few of us have been seen competing against some of the best desert racers in hare scrambles events and enduro events, etc.

There are aftermarket large tanks, seats, etc. that can aid you in your search for the ultimate trail bike.

I hate to see the trials bike be classified as 'nothing more than a trick/stunt bike when there truely is a lot more you can do with one.

Feel free to email me for more info on ATA for Southern California trials riders or PITS for Northern CA.

I'm part in agreement with Brendan that the form of todays trials bikes has adversely affected its growth and popularity. For us trials riders, we put up with the awkward seating, small tank, relatively poor durability.

Look at the following points too:

1. In the 70's 80's a farmer who needed a bike to get around the farm could do no better than a TY175 or TY250 for example.

He could easily use that same bike for a competition on a Sunday.

Most farmers I knew had a trials bike of some sort, usually a few between the family.

2. A bloke/youth/whatever who had (or wanted) a DT50/DT175/XT500 (I'm keeping it Yamaha :closedeyes: ) could easily compare riding his trail bike to riding a standard trials bike. Hell - he could even sit down the same on some sections.

3. He could go out for a ride on a Saturday with the lads, and ride a trial the next day on the same bike.

4. The bike he bought in 1976 if kept tidy would be just as able and competitive in 1982 (or even 2006) as it was when he bought it.

5. Just as importantly, the beginner, who's not sure whether to devote 20-80% of his annual expendable income could buy a bike which would still be competitive in any class.

I'm sure if you go back another 10 or 20 years most or all of the above are even more true.

In comparison, when non-trials friends see my Sherco, the usual comments are something along the lines of Where's the seat? How do you ride that? What is it?

They don't even want a go on it! Wouldn't know what to do without a seat. Normal people don't expect to stand up on a bike, not staright away anyway :( Hard to imagine for us lot.

I'm opening myself up to some **** takes with that line but not to worry ;)

What d'ya reckon?

But - to scupper most of my argument - it doesn't seem to have adversely affected cyclotrials as I first knew it.

Maybe we're aiming at a different age group. Keep the 30-50 year olds happy and they'll drag their kids along.

Sell "stunt" bikes to kids and they have to pursuade a parent to buy a 4 grand bike with no seat. :closedeyes:

And I'm not saying we're definitely going the wrong way, or that we really had any choice. I love my Sherco, but I got the trials bug in the 70's.

Good topic for discussion though.

Edited by bikespace

Brendan,

A trials bike lets you develop your technical skills better than a "full size" bike and they are a LOT of fun! You can then transfer the skills to your KTM and Husaberg.

Hope you can make it to some PITS events. It would be great to see you and ride with you again.

(Gee if this isn't Brendan from Bob & John's Excellent Adventure this won't make any sense at all!)

-cyclist

My boys and I have ridden our "Trials" bikes as trail bikes, trials bikes and have competed in our club hare scrambles, with very good results, it is a blast to blow by a guy on his Hon/Yam/Suz M/X bike. My oldest son and another rider, both on trials bikes won a three hour hare scrambles team event. The bikes are very light, smooth and powerful and can take lines the bigger heavier bikes cannot take. Put the bike in 4th gear and go, it is amazing how fast they can go. Have you ever been to a national event and watched the Pro riders finish the last loop. Todays trials bikes are very fast in the woods.

I tried a seat and found that it got in the way. The small tank will usually let you ride for a couple of hours.

We ride Sherco, maybe the other bikes are not the same.

Wayne

Brendan,

A trials bike lets you develop your technical skills better than a "full size" bike and they are a LOT of fun! You can then transfer the skills to your KTM and Husaberg.

Hope you can make it to some PITS events. It would be great to see you and ride with you again.

(Gee if this isn't Brendan from Bob & John's Excellent Adventure this won't make any sense at all!)

-cyclist

Hi Scott!

It's a small world after all! Lol! I was wondering how someone here knew I have those bikes. Then I finally made it to the last sentence, and it clicked. I did not know you rode one of these weird bikes! :closedeyes: I keep hearing about how these machines are supposed to make you a better rider, but, right now, I think it is making me a worse rider since it is much easier to ride. Some of my riding buddies call it a cheater bike. I mostly bought it for an exploration and "hardcore" trail bike.

Are you going to the Husaberg meet in Arizona next month? Bob says he is going. I might go, and if I do, I will probably be riding my trials bike, since all of my other machines are broken.

Edited by Brendan

Brendan,

If you get a chance to come to our March event in Lucerne I'll introduce you to the original "Adventure Ride" A wonderful 2-4 hour ride, depending on skill level, through the narliest, rockiest, tightest trail that you've ever seen.

Also, a few of us have been seen competing against some of the best desert racers in hare scrambles events and enduro events, etc.

There are aftermarket large tanks, seats, etc. that can aid you in your search for the ultimate trail bike.

I hate to see the trials bike be classified as 'nothing more than a trick/stunt bike when there truely is a lot more you can do with one.

Feel free to email me for more info on ATA for Southern California trials riders or PITS for Northern CA.

Many thanks. I would really like to check that out, or at least find out where it is, and do it myself sometime.

I think that those aftermarket tanks are still a joke. One stingy gallon? I need enough to go around 80-100 miles. I wish they would make a two gallon tank. I don't like to carry fuel on my back. Last weekend while in my pack, my gas can started leaking on me for some reason.

Since my other bikes are broken, I will probably be using my trials bike in the Quicksilver national enduro next month. I doubt one gallon will make it to the gas stop, so I will have to carry extra fuel in a backpack, which I believe is against race rules.

Lane-

I doubt any area in the USA today could support 50+ events a year. I know our max in New England is about 14 and that's with one big club doing about 3-4 events. Its hard to find trialsmasters to make the trials. Plus add in the nationals on a reg year (about 8-10) and that barely leaves time for anything else in life. Dunno how the brits do 50.... :(

Brendan-

Most of that stuff is made avaliable by third parties or buy a scorpa. I don't see why we need to restrict the functionality of our VERY capable bikes to appease the general public. If someone is going to get into trials they very rarely buy new IMO, they often ride someone else's bike first then look at used bikes which are much cheaper. Then they use that till they figure out if they want to continue doing the sport and if they do continue they buy new if money allows it.

I'd love to do an enduro on my bike, pump up the air pressure in my tires and put some heavy clothing on and hit it!

Wayne do you see adverse affects to your bikes after doing enduros? Abnormal wear?

:closedeyes: