Dougie's Master Classes

bigfoot

I did it in 2002 and really enjoyed it. At the clubman level it was more of a day out with the boys than actual tuition but...

...they sometimes have 1 'expert' day during the week, where higher skilled riders are pushed a bit harder so this might suit you.

Me and 2 mates have booked the Steve Saunders 3-day school again. This year it's somewhere near Sheffield at the back end of July.

Well, I've booked my customary slot on the last two days.

I've been for the last couple of years, and I can honestly say its worth it.

I'm not sure I agree with Kinell though - what might appear to be an outing with the boys is very much more than that. It depends on what you have in mind when you got there. If you expect to be taught how to hop and bounce and generally do the flash stuff, then forget it. But if you want to know how to actually RIDE your bike and, more importantly, how to RIDE a section, then take the plunge.

Its the small, subtle things they teach than can really help your scores and help you become a better rider. I was a below average clubman when I went, and now i'm an average clubman with loads of confidence. I was often beaten by a section before I'd even started riding it. Now, the one thing I will do is give it a go. I don't profess to be any great shakes, but likewise I'm not scared to give it a go. I've managed to finish in the top ten in the class quite a few times now.

As a for instance, I ride a Rev 3, and I always rode sections in 2nd or 3rd (depending upon the nature) as I always figured 1st was too low and I'd struggle to find grip. But after last years course, I now ride everything (just about anyway) in 1st, and I can easily get up slippy, muddy climbs without losing traction. I find 1st gives me more time and control, particularly on downhills or in rocks.

As I say, don't go if you think it will make you a superstar overnight - but if you enjoy riding your bike but want to get that little bit better, then do it.

• 2 months later...

When I first went on the DL Masterclass, I did a write-up for <ahem> Trials Action - now I don't know if Andy has kept any stuff from way back when, but perhaps if he has, and he could lay his hands on it, he might be able to repost it on here to give people an idea of what they are in for.

Failing that, I'm more than happy to do another 'journo' after this years event...assuming people would be interested that is!!!