Lance Armstrong?

sam

I read some were that Lance bought a GASGAS, he rides trials?

I remember last year he mentioned that buying a dirt bike would be one of the first things he would do during retirement.

sam

And Just think of the impact on our sport if sports illustrated does a story about lance on a trials bike ... Talk about good exposure... If lance actually gets into trials events it would most likely do more for our sport than anything else ever has ! talk about getting the mainstream to take notice!!!!

And I read Richy Carmichael just got a gas gas to cross train on , just like the top European motocrossers have done for years!!!!!!!!!!

I've neverunderstood why even in alot of bike shops , no one has a clue as to what trials riding is...

But maybe that is why (deep down inside)Geoff Arron , Tony Avala? and the like put on their stunt shows at all the freestyle MX shows now.(besides the $)Is just to show trials to more people..........Cause we all know that going fast is easy, Slow control is much harder...(IMHO)..........!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup::(

Glenn

AND PARENTS might think if Lance does it , It can't be BAD!!!!

Edited by axulsuv

About 4 yrs ago (?) at the Toronto motorcycle show, we had our club booth set up with a bike of each brand and trials videos playing. Nicky and Tommy Hayden were at the show signing autographs for Joe Rocket on a stage across from the booth. When they were done, they (and Kevin Schwantz) made a bee-line for the latest Montesa. Nicky said that Honda had recently given him one to cross train on. He was still in the US riding AMA Superbike at the time.

It was very interesting to see a swarm of people behind those three all wanting to talk to them, yet they were 100% focused on the trials bikes. Asking questions about technique, maintenance, trick parts, etc. Nicky, Tommy and Kevin then stood and watched the WTC vidoes for awhile..... completely blown away by Dougie and the lads. They asked where they could get copies of the vid, thanked us and headed off.

The best part was that when they first stepped up and were inspecting the bike closely, one of our members walked up to Nicky and asked the standard 'show' question...."So, do you ride a motorcycle now?" He just smiled and answered .."Yes, for awhile now"

Great story Tom about the Hayden's and Shwantz! I have always been under the impression that Kevin started out riding trials bikes before he ever became a world champion road racer. If you go to the TTC website there is a few pics of him riding there fairly recently too.

About Lance! After watching him over the last few years in the Tour de France, he is in my mind THE greatest athlete of our time! I've also watched on OLN a really good biography on him and his training regime leading up to the Tour. This guy is an animal and his focus and determination is unmatched! I also understand that he has a house (one of many) in Spain fairly close to the GG factory and has actually watched Raga and company train there for the last couple of years. Due to restrictions from sponsors and managers etc he was unable to partake himself until now being retired from cycling! It would be great to take him out riding sometime hey??? :thumbup:

Cheers, Steve

Steve, I agree he's perhaps the greatest athlete of our time. We might get some disagreements from Brian Gumbal or Barry Bonds fans though.

Reading his biography his biggest handicap before having cancer was his muscle mass, which was a big disadvantage for the tour. Yes it made him a good sprinter but a bad long distance rider because of weight and wind resistence according to his own words in his book.

The cancer allowed him to rebuild himself as a leaner endurance athlete from what his book said. Trialsmen are built the opposite of endurance athletes, it's more along the lines of a gymnast's power. So his build is not a good one for trials! So don't entertain the thought that he will jump into trials and beat Adam Raga!

Good point about size, it does matter in trials! Dougie is tall and strong, so is Laia for a lady, In fact she's as big as most men. I also agree about her temperature.

Of course gymnasts are small for better rotation but the muscle type is similar to a trials rider, strong and explosive. Endurance athletes are not as strong but can keep on ticking and ticking and ticking. Much like comparing a sprinter vs a long distance runner.

Another thing to consider is if he has seen trials only in Europe, he will not regonize the sport in the USA! It's nothing like trials in Europe what so ever. It's almost like comparing World football "soccer" with American football.

Another thing to consider is if he has seen trials only in Europe, he will not regonize the sport in the USA! It's nothing like trials in Europe what so ever. It's almost like comparing World football "soccer" with American football.

Lane your right we do order special made bikes for the US.

You know the ones with training wheels, and streamers on the handle bars.

Looks better when we are riding our sections on the sidewalks. :thumbup:

We don't actually want to get them soiled. Remember Purple on the right and Green on the left. :(