Bad News For Us

sirhc

I am a little surprised it happened here since this is like the Motocross capital of the world,all the factory's have there supercross practice tracks here, you can't go to the corner store with out seeing at least two trucks with bikes in the back and there are 4 motocross tracks within 45 min. of me.My point is I thought we would have had more pull with them.Maybe all this riding is why it happened here,I don't know :wall:

Some of us have talked about getting land separate from the "ATA"thing because we thought something may happen soon, we just didn't know how soon.We have just had light talk about it and now a group of us may just have to get together and do it.Just not in Riverside county.

Edited by sirhc

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What they're going to do to us Bagger is use the dust factor to close us down. The EPA always picks a windy day when all the farm fields out west are being blown across the state and fines the county or state on a dust/pollen/particulate violation. Guess who pays?

I take it Reed Valley is no longer available as a venue for ATA events as well? Glad I had a chance to ride there at least once.

Edited by Eric23

Mr Bill Update,

We have been in contact with Mr Bill about the loss of trialsland. He's looking at one place and we called him with another possibility, Willow Springs raceway! We spoke to management there on Friday face to face and they seemed interested.

AHRMA has had trials events there along with their vintage roadraces. They own the whole back mountain which has some good rocks. The facilities are excellent and are about 1 hour from the San Fernando Valley.

On the topic of cows! Cattle don't seem to mind trials bikes. We practice in between cattle, horses and mules all the time. They don't mind trials bikes one bit.

This is a perennial issue that we all seem to talk about, but not do anything until the land is sold, then its too late. We lost one parcel in MN here just due to sale. Great people, they were happy with us, but older and retirement needs take first place.

So, maybe these things get people motivated to move ahead in small steps.

I am hearing two different threads here:

1. Land closed due to owners saying no. I SUPPORT this! the owners should decide what they want to do with their land. And if they want to ride or let people ride they should be able to do it. Riverside? topic number 2.

as far as addressing the private land issue, we should always be looking ahead, not reacting to crisis. Make the landowners happy, do small stuff, pay them well, keep it clean, treat it well. That is so different than the stereotype mx or atv crowd it sure helps.

2. Government restrictions: I don't want to get started there...this is a state where the eminent domain case Walser Buick vs. the city started. City took over private property to be sold to a developer who would make it better for the city (i.e. more tax revenue). Not for public roads, bridges, etc. Just because city decides you aren't using your property as wisely as they think it shoudl be for the common good, they can take it. Not quite that simple, but that's the essence.

GET INVOLVED in local politics. Talk to your local reps, way ahead, on issues. And get involved in $$, phone calling, literature, etc. Face it, protesting doesn't do it. Legislators will respect our opinions when they see the legwork behind the words. Letters to editors on the issues, or in support of candidates, etc. In MN we have a political tax credit, $50-100 totally refunded, for contributions. Not deduction, but 100% credit.

I hate it, but its a necessary evil to support many different causes and issues I believe in. But come to think of it, it's the very essence of democracy that most of the world risks their life to escape to come here.

So get involved, pay your dues, instead of just consuming the benefits. Make it better for the future generations

where's that nitroglycern heart medication. . . .

kcj

Kevin, I also live in MN and I've been saying to get involved in the political process if you want your politicians to represent YOU. You said it so well and folks need to hear that protesting after the fact rarely gets anything done. Be proactive and support the politicos that support you and educate those who may support you. All politics is local.

Thanks for posting that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've long advocated for clubs to buy land away from the looney political urban fringe. So much of trials takes place on government or leased land. Risky! But for a club to do this, it becomes more expensive and requires working together in new ways, both of which I noted many trials riders aren't interested in.

The closer you get to populated areas, the more it will cost to buy enough land to insulate yourself from the frenzy. That takes a group effort like a limited membership land club. A large chunk will protect you from all but government run amok, and ours seems more inclined that way all the time, what with more motorcycle haters. For that you can go flick a Harley spode in his helmetless head and tell him to stick a potato in that open pipe!

As for the populated areas of California, I feel for you there. It's paradise lost.

My land is not a club effort, but as an individual I have done what I've advocated. I have 234 acres to ride on right our my back door, and 200 acres more elsewhere. This is in Oklahoma where people are still normal and friendly and speak English :-)

-CJ

RIP trialsland!

We had a fantastic final event yesterday at trialsland. Bill did a great job and the entry had a blast.

The after trial traditional dinner at Sizzler was attended by 24 riders one less than last week but hey, we didn't have David Chavez this time. He was back at Sherco. Sorry Sizzler for the future drop in business but you can thank the county of Riverside for your lost revenue.

It was funny, there was a Mexican party over the hill with music blarring that could be heard from well over a 1/2 mile away. Much, much louder than the motorcycles!

Another funny incident was Mark Oldar ran into a guy stuck in a gully on a YZ450 motocross bike. He asked him where he was from thinking he may own some land nearby. He said "I'm from Mexico! I've just ridden over here from the party!"

Thanks Bill and trialsland for all the great memories. We now leave Riverside county to all the locals and Mexican immigrants. Enjoy!

Edited by Mich Lin

Craig, I don't mind legal immigration or people working hard to improve themselves. I'm not a radical in that way!

I don't mind legal immigrants or hard working people moving from the Getto into our neighborhood, in fact I welcome them, that is unless they bring where they came from with them. If they want to turn other places into where they came from, why did they leave there and come here in the first place? I believe that's an honest question!

To turn the suburbs into a getto makes little sense! Just like leaving Mexico or any other third world country and bringing that 3rd world country with them to the USA makes no sense to me.

If a place is so bad you need to move somewhere else, why bring that bad place with you and force it on others? Simply an honest question?