Gg Cylinder Head Bolts

lewis_gasgas

Word of warning dont over tighten your bolts on the bike the person before me who had my bike must have over tightened the bolts on the cylinder head and one stripped yesterday and wouldnt tighten again ..painful job but its well on the way from sorting it now..

Had to remove the cylinder head which means taking out numerous nuts and bolts to make room . Its now getting re threaded for the morning where i have the long process of putting it back together for a trial tomorrow night :)DSC01077.jpg

DSC01078.jpgGas Gas virtually stripped :)

Is there a certain way to put the bolts back in ?

Edited by Lewis-GasGas

There is just the common rule of cross tightening the opposite bolt. You can do them in 2 times increments, first all handtight and then to the specification. Use a momentwrench to be exact. No specialties here.

Maybe the o-ring can be reluctant to keep his groove. Put them in with a dab of grease or liguid gasket sealer.

• 11 years later...

I have this exact problem on a 2005 TXTpro 250 that I got cheap off my brother-in-law. I have a friend with a machine shop so was going to take the head down to him to sort it as I'd read that helicoils (my original plan A) aren't the best job for this sort of repair.

Or would I be better to just take the whole engine out to reduce the number of gaskets etc required.

...and while I'm hijacking the thread, Is there a go-to UK or Ireland distributor for gaskets and the like?

Thanks in advance - I've only just found this forum and have learnt a great deal already!

Thanks all. I'd seen the timeserts mentioned on various youtube vids as a better alternative to helicoils but an expensive kit to buy that I probably (hopefully!) wouldn't get the use out of.

I'll get myself some gaskets and hopefully get some time at the end of the week to have a nosey.

Radiator fan also needs replaced so I'm off to trawl the forum for some info on that. Looking forward to actually get to swing my leg over the thing at some point!

Cheers

Just discovered the sticky at the top of the GG forum. I have a rad fan from a Suzuki of some sort that looks like it will fit ok but I wasn't sure how to separate the old motor without destroying everything...seems like I have to do a bit of destruction after all!

I'll look into the cornwall boats tip if I have no joy with this one.

Great resource this forum!