Transmission Oil For 4rt

rhaines

Yes there is.

Silkolene Pro 4 for the gearbox, and Silkolene pro SRG75 for clutch, as recommended by Sandifords. The SRG stuff is excellent, i also used it in me old 315, and it improves the clutch action.

Oh, i think you'll alsdo find that DRY clutches are used in road racing bikes and do not contain any oil!! (the name's a bit of a give away, "DRY" Clutch). Who-ever recommended it for a dry clutch wouldn't have got very far, as the clutch casings are generally vented,and would have resulted in a oil slick to thye garage floor. (see modern Ducatis)

post-160-1146943893.jpg

• 2 years later...

Have used ATF in both 315s and 4rt with no problems -I find that clutch action is at least as good as anything else I have tried.

By the way ATF stands for Automatic Transmission oil - every modern automatic has several clutch packs and multiple gear sets which make a 4rt clutch and gearbox look like a tractor transmission. Modern atf which has been developed by all the motor manufacturers and major oil companies over the years so I am sure its fine for a trials bike.

PS you can change it 10 times for the price of 1 elf change -fresh oil is always better in my mind

• Like 1

Have used ATF in both 315s and 4rt with no problems -I find that clutch action is at least as good as anything else I have tried.

By the way ATF stands for Automatic Transmission oil - every modern automatic has several clutch packs and multiple gear sets which make a 4rt clutch and gearbox look like a tractor transmission. Modern atf which has been developed by all the motor manufacturers and major oil companies over the years so I am sure its fine for a trials bike.

PS you can change it 10 times for the price of 1 elf change -fresh oil is always better in my mind

what make of atf do you use jimmy?

• 8 years later...

For what it's worth, here is my experience with a 2016 4RT260. I did the first engine and gear oil change at 8 hours. Couldn't find Elf anywhere so I bought Belray 75W Gear Saver.

It turned the clutch into a light switch. What used to be super smooth and with a nice easy transition between engaged and disengaged became very abrupt and hard to control.

Then, thanks to the forum, I asked my local Honda dealer if they could order Honda part no. 08C35-HTX-740. He had no idea what it was but he tried and a week later he got it, it's in the bike and the clutch is back to the way it was.

The downside? It's insanely expensive. Almost $60 per liter. I bought 2 bottles. Oh well. I plan to change at 30 hours intervals.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The bike holds what, 570ml of fluid.  One liter pretty much gets you two changes a season and it provides you with a clutch that operates correctly.  Super smooth.  There is no substitute..  bite the bullet.?✊️

Edited by medeiros494
Improper language
  • Like 1

Honda wouldn't recommend it if it was going to cause a problem, people have been running it in 4RT's for years without issue.  

On another note, there is a lot of other oil options out there and as long as it is high quality and others are using it you might want to try your luck.  For me I will keep using the ELF HTX740 as it runs so well in the bike for me.  And if I couldn't get the ELF I would likely try a few different options and end up using something like the Amsoil super shift, Silkoline light, Dextron VI, Maxima MTL Extra light 75WT, GRO Gear Extreme 75W , or some other variation of a supper light gear oil.