Mecatecno Sky Walker - Info Please

duckwizard

Hoping to run the mecatecno at a club trial this weekend.

Just need a wee bit info confirmed by you knowlegable people.

Engine oil capacity & type, 500cc 75w pji clutch tuner ?

Plug type B8es ?.

Mixture 50: 1.

Any one know if rear wheel is the same as any other bikes ?.

Any one know if rear guard is the same as any other bikes.

Do these bikes normally sound fairly loud and ringy from the top end. :D

i rode for mecatechno and had two bikes at one point, i didnt do any maintenance on them (it was done for me)

if i remember right the mudguard is a one off , and they did sounds loud and when flat out did ring a bit.

hope this helps,

the person that gave me the bikes sadly passed away a few years ago, he would've known everything you need to know...which isnt much help is it!!

Duckwizard,

From the Mecatecno Skywalker 326cc manual.

The engine has 2 different oils.1 for the clutch and the other for the gearbox.

Gearbox 250cc's of 90 grade oil filled from the large brass bolt on the top.

Clutch 300cc's of 20 grade filled from the side clutch adjustment access.

Your plug should do the job and mixture of 50/1 is fine and dandy.Semi / fully synthetic oil.

The rear wheel is the same as early aircooled and watercooled green Gas Gas's.

The hub shouldnt be too difficult to find.

On the subject of rattling top ends these bikes have large pistons with large skirts on them. As the soft piston wears on the nickosil bore you get piston slap.This piston slap causes the skirts of the pistons to crack. They can snap off.

These engines are raw and powerful and can sound a bit rattly. They dont run as smoothly as modern bikes and should have their pistons changed every 2 years or so with regular use.

I have 4 Mecatecno Skywalker pistons with cracks on the skirts of the pistons and know of one bike where the piston eventually broke damaging the big end.

I have just fitted a new piston and ring, big end , and small end to mine and it is quiet but no doubt it will get noisier as it gets older.

I would keep an eye on it and perhaps check the clearances . The last thing you want is a component failure as bits are impossible to locate and have to fabricated and altered etc.

Another thing to keep an eye out on is the flywheel nut. The flywheel does not sit very snuggly on the crankshaft . If the nut is loose thew flywheel will shake and snap the crankshaft. I have an old snapped crankshaft to prove !

The rear guard is a one off for the Skywalker. The Mecatecno Alevin has a similar rear guard but its smaller and just as impossible to locate. Perhaps get one moulded or adapt another.

Ps.Dont worry about the rotary timing disc setting ....i've worked it out and its running ace.

Good luck at the trial.

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...