Ron

mich lin

Thanks Ron, I support your marketing 100%!

Your situation is understandable with the current NATC program, as to why you sponsor sportsmen riders and not top national riders. There is little doubt that Montesa and Scorpa are using the same marketing.

Let's examine the impact! What that means is that the better you get, the more you put into the sport, the less you will get in return as a young rider. Which means that as a young rider improves and begins to challenge Geoff, the less chance he has of getting the support he needs because the more the costs. Which helps keep Geoff Champion! Which is why he has been champion so long!

I've seen this dynamic working for years, have seen the burnout in the Pro ranks of young riders because of this lack of support. Which is simply caused by the policies of the NATC of adding more and more sportsmen classes into the NATC nationals. Which has created an Army of sportsmen "works riders" in the USA, who's support is drawn away from the best up and coming young US Pros.

I'm not being negative, simply pointing out the facts!

Edited by Mich Lin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northwestern mom, Thanks for jumping in. You guys sit in the trials hot seat for sure and yes I've got my eye on your team. Keep up the good work. Also, Stick with Craig, he's got the vision for the future you will need to excell. HE'S ALSO GOT THE PERSONALITY. 

Who am I in the sport? I'm simply an armchair athlete who tried to get back into the nationals last year but was kicked out of the series for not being up to NATC standards!  Actually, that's the kind of people who sponsor sports, whatabees like me. 

I was poised to get back into NATC trials in a big way but simply didn't fit into the NATC program.  So now I'm only a fan, like someone watching football on TV and talking about the big game but not actually doing anything.

Consider this, at one time we were one of the biggest contributors to the US TDN team of cash donations. That was until the team manager told me point blank he didn't need our help or want our cash. So I stopped sending it.

Could I sponsor riders? Sure! There has to be a lot of Americans that are interested in young riders who might have the talent. The question one always asks yourself as a sponsor is, why? Is this a good investment?

I apolagize that I come accross as arrogant but don't confuse arrogance with confidence. In my line of work we deal with people's lives and if a mistake is made, it can cost millions of dollars at best or at worst somebody is dead! That tends to make a person a hard @ss.

When it goes well, everyone makes a little money and people are entertained by the art. Is it easy? H@ll no! But professional trials was a great training ground for what we do today. That's why I love the sport.

Is Geoff my buddy? Yes! How have we helped him? We have hooked him up with TV and movie jobs and we got him his Screen Actors Guild card. The passport to the motion picture and TV career world and the big dough!

I've started dozens of men in the industry, all of them are earning way over a hundred grand a year now. Some of them are even running the biggest shows in Hollywood like Spiderman and The Dukes of Hazard for example. Others have just finished working on shows like Pirates. Simply Northermom, I'm known as one of the best trainers of young talent in Hollywood. Is that arrogant or confident?

One parting shot, last night Ringo E-mailed me asking if I could help his son be a stuntman?  He's been going to stuntschool but can't get any work. So You see mom, I don't fit into the normal mold of your everyday person, I make a differnce. I'm extra ordinary, speak the truth and watch the back of those around me who watch mine.

But, I will not go where I'm not wanted! Even though I could bring a lot to the table. Remember the old saying "You can bring a horse to water but you cannot make him drink."

That's why I not convinced trials is worth investing in! Does that make me an jerk or simply a good businessman?

We have to keep this to the fore Lane, it's a classic <_<

So you agree with me Ishy, we should not support the TDN team because the manager didn't want our cash donations? Or would you sent the money anyway? What would you Do?

Hey, that individual has had more free trips off the El Trial donation money than any other single individual in El Trial history. He even had his way paid as manager and as a rider, not on the team but as an up and comer in the 70s.

Should we not help riders like Geoff support himself?

Well said Brian! There is always strings attached to sporsonship, Read Ron's post again about his strings.

I'd say that team manager who turned down my donations, has had at least 10 free trips to Europe from the El Trial donations. He was feeling the pressure from people like myself to step up the results and put the US team into the ONE class at the TDN.

We have established thats the only way to improve our riders is to step into the game with the best. It was also mentioned here, that's how Cody Webb won his first national, riding with the Europeans, not the Americans. Because it improved his lines. Remember?

Riding with the B group at the TDN puts our team down with the South American riders and others we can learn nothing from. But putting them in class ONE also makes our TDN team a Professional effort, which a sportsmen minded manager cannot handle. By Keeping our team on line 2 the manager could ride along as a minder and enjoy the competition himself and continue get another free trip to Europe

That's what was going on in my opinion, however I could be mistaken. Simply an opinion.

I do know we MUST step up to line one at the TDN and fight our way to the top if we hope to succeed. That manager refused to make that jump, even after winning the line 2 game in 2000 for whatever reason.

I would have continued to donate even when I disagreed with the direction of the team but he refused my sponsorship. Plain and simple. Which pulled money right out of the pockets of the US team riders.

Edited by Mich Lin

Like I said Ishy, your a shameless trials profiteer! As far as I know you may also be one of the Sportsmen works riders I've been talking about, that is taking the sponsorship money out of the pockets of our young up and coming Pro riders.

No wonder Geoff is still national champion and has never scored a single world championship point. Nobody can afford to come up and challenge him.

Besides, I've offered already to sponsor you to a beer, the next time I see you. That appears to be what you asked for Ishy.

Edited by Mich Lin

Ron,

Nike raised my endorsement to $2.3 Million and Tommy Bahamma stepped up with a life time supply of Hawaiian shirts so I'll be able to drop my $100k salary to $25k. You'll have to throw in the Beta/KTM fast bike as a cross trainer and I'll get you that Endurocross title away from David Knight this year.

I'll leave it up to you to break the news to Geoff that I'll be returning to the championship to relieve him of the #1 podium spot.

Don't worry Cody, I'm only committing to one year so you'll be primed to step up when I'm done.

Ringo, I'm looking foreward to you riding next year in Vegas! Wasn't I your biggest supporter? Let me know how the new Beta works out, that Knight he's a tough cookie and you will need top equipment to best him.

A buddy of mine who works for team Suzuki off road just did a training session with Knight. He said he was REALLY good, so train hard old buddy.

I wouldn't worry much about Geoff winning unless he really improves, he rode horrible last year in Vegas. Chavez on the Sherco 4T did a ton better than Geoff did on the 2T GASGAS. I feel that David was at a handicap on the 4T bike, the best performances tended to be on 2T machines on the tight tough indoor course.

One last point Ringo, it's a shame we didn't have our trials shootout everyone wanted at the TCC world round. We would have been fighting it out for 11th or 12th place world championship points. Not bad hey?

At least you and I would have the courage to enter. You know what they say? If you don't compete, you can't win or lose! That of course does not apply to the US Pro riders who wanted to compete with the world's best but needed to ride the 2 line to place well at the US Championship. Which is what they are paid to do.

You guys know who you are!

Glad your sponsorship deals are coming through Ringo.

Edited by Mich Lin

Come on Isherwood, you know you made a bundle off your world round, Fess up! Hey, PITS bought a peice of land off their world round profits, what did you buy? That vintage RTL?

As for me I went bankrupt riding trials! In 1978 I made $4,0000.00 working construction and spent $6000.00 as a privateer beating Bernie at his prime, fair and square. Something few riders were ever able to do.

Edited by Mich Lin