Brake Help

sherco_man

Hi all,

I have a problem with my brakes and i was just wondering wether you could help me out. The problem is that my back brake is hardly working at all. The pads are fine but there is a chance someone may have got wd40 on the back disc :D Can anyone think of a solution?

Thanks.

Hi! that happened to me on my gasser.You could try +throwing water on them and then riding round with the brake on to get it hot. you may need to do this several to see if it makes a difference. other than that you will need a new set of pads and clean the disc really well with a clean rag and bit of brake fluid. it only takes a tiny bit of silocone based oil to ruin a ggod set of pads! they are absorbent and it is nigh on impossible to get it out of the pads!

Hope this helps! :D

Super smashing great!

Cheers

I've had success with using brake/carb cleaner spray on the disc and then using a fine sandpaper to lightly resurface the pads. Use a clean dry rag/towel and make sure the cleaner has time to evaporate and dry off. When doing the pads put the sandpaper on a very flat surface (rough side up) and then in a circular motion rub the pad on the sandpaper to create a new level surface. Then I take the bike out and give the brake a decent workout to heat it up and re-bed the pads to the disc.

Edited by AlphaDecay

A Common problem with the Scorpa back brake is that the disk does not come into contact with the whole of the pad surface. After a while it leaves a unworn ridge on both pads. When the brake is applied these two ridges come together preventing the pads from coming into contact with the disk. :D

A Common problem with the Scorpa back brake is that the disk does not come into contact with the whole of the pad surface. After a while it leaves a unworn ridge on both pads. When the brake is applied these two ridges come together preventing the pads from coming into contact with the disk. :D

This is easliy solved by using the right pad for your bike, i.e SY specific.

Take your pads out..taking all the safety precautions blah,blah...place them on a brick and heat them up with a small butane torch, wait until you see the bubbles (of WD40?)stop, then douse them in water.

Lightly sand down the pad and the disc surface and away you go(and stop!).

If this doesn't work (I'll be surprised)then you have done everything you could have to salvage the goods so then and only then should you buy some new ones.

God I am soooo tight! :D

Edited by HAM2