Reflex Tlr What's The Difference?

mattylad

As far as I understand the differences are

1 Forks - Reflex 33mm diameter, some TLR200's are 35mm, as 250 but different internals & less travel. I suspect some TLR 200's are also 33mm but I might be wrong.

2 Given above yokes (sp?) or tripple trees to out cousins across the pond are obviously different.

3 Wheel Rims - Reflex have chrome rims, TLR200 has gold alloy rims (guaranteed to corrode). Dont know about rim widths and spindle diameters but brakes are same

4 Dont know what the tank difference is - its not colour since some TLR200's have white tanks & plastics as well - I have one!

5 My TLR200 has full road gear except indivcators, interestingly my 250 has different road gear.

6 Gearbox - are the ratios different? - I doubt it but perhaps someone can confirm, the difference is likely to be final drive ratios.

Gordon

If someone has other differences I have a TLR200 microficge and the reflex one is online so its easy enough to compare.

Edited by g4321

The Reflex has a 6 speed gearbox. When sprockets are changed to something like 11/44, top speed is very limited. You can be in 6th gear at 20 mph. (I wish there was a way to change this.) Is the TL the same?

The Reflex has a small thin steel skid plate (bash plate) in place of the larger Aluminium TL plate. The little levers on the brake drums are also steel on the Reflex instead of Aluminium.

• 2 weeks later...

The US California model of the TLR200 Reflex also had a smog can with tubes attached,so that the little bike that could,nt go at least had a very clean exhaust note. They all ran hobbily lean from new. Only available for 1986 and 1987. New MSRP was either 1595 or 1695 in dollars now beater go for that easy. Any info on the 1984 HRC RS250ta trials model? everyone seems to think it a TLR250......TLR250 engines are mdo9 and RS250ta are engines are for sure RS....

Reflex Comments

If you have the choice between the two bikes, go with the TLR.

If you get a Reflex, change the exhaust and get it re-tuned, and re-jetted to TLR specs, for the reasons I mention above.

Also consider that the skidplate, rims, exhaust, tires, and probably other components on the Reflex are much heavier and lower quality than the TLR.

If the TLR was available here, I would have bought one. I couldn't stand the Reflex because it felt heavy and ran so poorly.

Step 1) I saw that it was a lot of work to get them to run correctly. I believe the Reflex will not run correctly with the standard Honda exhaust.

Step 2) Get the weight off of it. Replace the heavy rims, remove the battery lights and wiring, throw away the stock exhaust system, replace the skid plate with something durable, renthal handlebars, etc.

Step 3) It may need lower gearing and better tyres.

It's quite a bit of work and money to get a Reflex to run right, tuning, gearing, tyres, handlebars, skidplates, and weight. Quite a few people have bought them and got rid of them for the above reasons.

My TL-250 feels lighter, starts easier, and runs better than the standard Reflex. I will be keeping my TL-250, I just want ot make it lighter. The TL-125 and 250 are fun bikes to ride unmodified. The Reflex stalls constantly and unpredictably. It is also very hard to kick over.

I have ridden Honda Reflexes that were tuned lightened and modified. They were great bikes with the changes. It also cost the owner as much as the purchase price of the Reflex to get it to work right!

Otherwise the Reflex is probably a tough and long lasting set up.

• 2 years later...

I have one of each, differences are minimal in actual riding-these bikes are magic offroad. Front brake size, skid plate, rims, forks, are main diffs. Those alum rims do corrode badly and the shocks on both are trash even brand new. Also seating position is very awkward to stand (pegs too high), frames break at weak joint under rear of tank, and seat needs relpacement.

I can tell you all the hot mods I've done/had them all. The Brits went nuts with these bikes I have the articles to prove it. I know anything you need to know about the TLR. I have many other bikes and this is still a top favorite.

p.bowman@earthlink.net