Road Registering

OK, I'll give you my knowledge on this, as I have pulled my hair out for the last two years trying to get this done, and I am never going to buy an unregistered bike again!

Though having said that, it is a fairly straight forward thing to do, so long as you have time on your hands (which I generally don't!). It will involve a trip to your local DVLA office. Depending on where you go, what day of the week it is, and seemingly any other factor like if it's raining or not will determine how easy the first process is. They will need to see a drivers license, two proofs of address identity, bill of sale for the bike (if you have one), insurance (which you will have to get initially on the chassis numbers) and most importantly a Certificate of Newness or a dating letter (any of the manufacturer importers can supply you with a CofN or dating letter - I contacted MRS Sherco for mine).You will also have to sign a Inland Revenue form stating that you have already paid VAT on it. They will submit your application, and may or may not ask to inspect the bike. If they do want to inspect your bike, you can either take it there (if you take it on the day of getting it registered, it will save you time), or they can come and visit you at home. The bike does not need to be road legal in any way for the DVLA to register it. All they do is check the seat height and ground clearance to confirm that it ie type approval exempt, nothing else like lights/horn etc is required. At the time of registering it, you pay

Edited by martinh

Hi can anyone help me, I'm looking to road register my 2002 sherco 250,

I think i have all of the forms, the only thing that has stumped me is the proof of age thing from the frame no.....

Cheers

Simon

If it's a UK market bike, then the importer should go out f their way to help.

If not, or if the importer seems to be very slow in dealing with your request, then.....

George Nuttall Services,

79, Fir Street,

Cadishead,

Manchester,

M44 5AR

Tel 0161 775 9567

Edited by ARAF

• 2 years later...

Hi All, i recentley purchased a 99 model gas gas that im thinking of road registering. Does anyone know where i can get the letter of dating from???? And what are the forms that i need from the DVLA??? HELP???????

Hi All, i recentley purchased a 99 model gas gas that im thinking of road registering. Does anyone know where i can get the letter of dating from???? And what are the forms that i need from the DVLA??? HELP???????

Jude at gas gas uk and DVLA local office go and see them and they will give you the forms or contact the website, is it DVLC?