Rev 3 Clutch Problems

leggins

When I start my rev 3 from cold the clutch dose not work properly until the bike is warm. I have been told that the plates need replacing . This is a job that Ive never done so if some kind person out there could give me some pointers or even better walk me through the operation. . :P

many thanks leggins

Edited by leggins

Who told you that the plates need replacing?

This is a common problem on all bikes, and if the clutch operates fine when warm then it ought to be fine.

There have been threads about this earlier, apparently putting the bike in a highish gear and rocking it backwards and forwards with the clutch in should unstick it before you start the bike.

I have plenty of room where I live and I just start the bike, let it warm up and then ride the bike across the yard and change up the gears relativel quickly with the clutch held in, normaly at about fourth it unsticks, and is fine for the rest of the ride.

Bob

Who told you that the plates need replacing?

This is a common problem on all bikes, and if the clutch operates fine when warm then it ought to be fine.

There have been threads about this earlier, apparently putting the bike in a highish gear and rocking it backwards and forwards with the clutch in should unstick it before you start the bike.

I have plenty of room where I live and I just start the bike, let it warm up and then ride the bike across the yard and change up the gears relativel quickly with the clutch held in, normaly at about fourth it unsticks, and is fine for the rest of the ride.

Bob

Well if yours had been touched by "BarryBaines" i`m sure you wouldn`t have any issues! :hl:

seriously though for the UK ATF has too be the best and cheapest first stop of action as a regular oil change! I`ve heard a few people turn therre noses up at it. But not only is it cheap but it`s great as most of you think my bike is a nail but it still produces photo`s :P

Hi,

I had this problem on a 97 Techno a while back. Replacing the plates is the right thing to do. As soon as i put new plates in mine it worked perfectly. Never had to worry about it again. Wondering whether your clutch is going to stick or not can be quite nerving, especially half way through a section. In my bike there were shinny chrome plates with dark gritty one inbetween each one, i replaced the dark gritty ones. Also use Automatic trans fluid.

This is what you need ---> http://www.in-chains.co.uk/static/RACE%20L...-TRIALS-CF7.htm

thanks for the advice . I rode in a trial today, The clutch freed its self after a couple of minuets and was fine for the rest of the day.It was quite funny when I put the bike in gear for the first time today I was off down the car park like a wolfsport boy :P ...... This clutch needs sorting Thanks again

Leggins

Start your bike up, pull the clutch lever in, tie the clutch lever to the grip with string or a tie wrap, put your trials clothing on, boots helmet, untie clutch lever pull clutch leaver in, select gear, hey presto, i bet it doesn't stick or drag.. worked on my old techno every time :P

Start your bike up, pull the clutch lever in, tie the clutch lever to the grip with string or a tie wrap, put your trials clothing on, boots helmet, untie clutch lever pull clutch leaver in, select gear, hey presto, i bet it doesn't stick or drag.. worked on my old techno every time :P

Will give that a go "dougie ". lets hope your advice helps a fellow dee darr.

cheers Leggins

cheers Leggins

Let me know how you get on mate.

cheers Leggins

I am out on saturday helping to set the next hillsborough trial up. will let you know then. cheers

cheers Leggins

I am out on saturday helping to set the next hillsborough trial up. will let you know then. cheers

I live just litterally 2 minutes from the Hillsborough Ground. Might have had a ride over, but going to Back Cowm on sunday so saving myself for there.

cheers Leggins

I live just litterally 2 minutes from the Hillsborough Ground. Might have had a ride over, but going to Back Cowm on sunday so saving myself for there.

I can almost hear you typing mate I live at stannington.

Hey

If your clutch is fine when it frees off then why change the plates? If it only takes a couple of minutes to free I personally would save myself the cash and put up with it! But any how it is completely up to you, if you have the cash you might aswell do it! :D

• 7 months later...
I just start the bike, let it warm up and then ride the bike across the yard and change up the gears relativel quickly with the clutch held in, normaly at about fourth it unsticks, and is fine for the rest of the ride.
Thanks Bob. I owe you a beer!

Tried this at the weekend and it works a treat. Freed off by the time I got into third gear; took all of five seconds. This has got to be better than messing around with cable ties and string . . .

Slamming gears into mesh doesn't make me comfortable about what it does to the transmission.

I just do the std Beta drill: Before starting, pull the shifter up into highest gear. Hold clutch lever in, rock bike back and forth until it breaks loose. Shift back down, find Neutral (very important step!), then start the bike.

Never bothers the rest of the day, just at first cold startup.

I have had older bikes do that when the plats are worn enough to lose the grooves. Then they tend to stick with fluid adhesion.

The old, old trick was to file grooves deeper. That's not so good on new style clutchs where the total stack height matters to the operation.

I have also replaced plates and found the bike did the very same thing after the new parts. (Have not changed plates on the Beta yet.)

So I just get used to the aggravation 30 seconds at first of the day.

k