Looking To Buy A Twinshock

jimpo

Depends a lot on personal preference and how competitive you wish to be.

My personal advice is if you can try a couple and see which you prefer as all the different makes ride differently :D

Before i made a decision though i would check on how available spares are. Some parts for some makes are virtually unobtainable which unless you are a super engineer is a BIG problem.

The favourites locally seem to be :-

Yamaha TY250 Majesty

Fantic 240 Pro

Honda 250 TLR

Suzuki 250 / 325 Beamish (make sure it is a Beamish not a RL. A lot of RL's get advertised as Beamish)

Those four are the most competitive potentially but will need a fair bit of work as a lot of twinshocks are quite "tricked up" nowadays. The spares situation for them is not bad so you should be ok.

If you are not so bothered about being competitive but just want an enjoyable day out then.

Bultaco 250 / 325 Sherpa

Yamaha TY175

Honda 200TLR

Fantic 200

Again good spares availability especially the Bultaco via Dave Renham at Bultaco UK

Then theres.

Montesa

Ossa

Spares are getting a problem so beware.

Finally ones IMHO to steer clear of.

Armstrong

Italjet

Anything using a Hiro motor plus Garelli etc

Good luck with your search. You could do a lot worse than get a Bultaco as at least they have good spares and hold their value quite well :beer:

Old Trials Fanatic, you say ''If you are not so bothered about being competitive......'' then suggest using a Bultaco. They must rank as one of the most competitive twinshocks. I have a 199B (340 6 speed) which I can beat many monoshocks with. I also have a 199A and a 159 and they all ride superbly. They are all restored to standard original condition and are not tricked up at all.

In your ''most competitive'' category you list a Beamish Suzuki 325. I have one of these as well, also in non tricked standard condition and compared to a Bultaco, it feels much heavier, footrests too high, engine more lethargic and spares are more difficult to obtain.

Have a look at the trials results from the twinshock era and that will indicate which bikes are competitive.

Sherpatensing

i have many t/shocks and ride them they all ride different but you get to know what does what if you want something that is as close to riding a modern bike a surgest a honda tlr 250 surspension is perfect riding position is good and the engine delivery is very good but then i like any t/shock and as for the other chaps coment about not winning on a bultaco what ajoke what chris clark on his bulto there isnt many clubmen can beat him on a regular basis

OK guys i stand corrected. Bultacos are wonderful. Just that locally there seems to be more Majestys, Fantics, Hondas, Suzukis and Ossas around that are winning regularly than Bultacos but i bow down to your superior knowledge. I wasnt trying to knock Bultacos and my main comments were to the more commonly available 250 and 325 sherpas from the mid 70's than the later models. I dont personally find my 340 6 speed as competitive as a good Majesty 320 or Beamish 325 but then again i must be weird as i dont get on that well with the Fantic 240 Pro. I find the Fantic too sharp on power and the steering tries to tuck under all the time.

Just goes to prove what i said in the first place. Try as many as you can to see which one you get on with best is the only way.

Sorry i forgot the SWM. I do hear they are an aquired taste and i only see one competeing locally and he really struggles but then again might just be the rider.

There will always be somebody who can make any model of bike win. Even an Armstrong. Thet was a joke so all you Armstrong fans put that brick down.

I still stand by Bultaco possibly best for spares. Honda good but very expensive. Fantic good but nervous. Suzuki tough and forgiving. TY Majesty possibly the best but so many variations on the same theme they range from soft and forgiving to rip your arms off and climb a tree. :)

Just try a few and make your own mind up. All the makes have their fans and they wont hear a word against their chosen one. You really have to make your own mind up.

Take your time and choose well what suits you sir :D

One for the Bultaco fans :beer:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

OTF, Why not use the 340 and climb up the result sheet......you left yourself wide open for that one!!

Joking apart, I'm sure they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and as you say, it's personal preference for whatever reasons. For me, all twinshocks are interesting probably due to me first riding/competing on them some 30 years ago.

Sherpatensing